This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Why GI doctor said Gliad IGG positive doesn't mean anything?

vickyloveaimee

vickyloveaimee Explorer

My daughters blood test back only has Gliad IGG positive,but her Gi doctor said it didn't mean anything,why? I thought positive it's positive,any idea???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Most celiacs will test positive on the IGA test versions over the IGG unless they are IGA deficient.  But some celiacs do not test this typical way.  You have two choices 1) get a second or third opinion or 2) keep her on a gluten diet and retest in six months or a year.  You can not rely on just a positive DGP IGA alone for a diagnosis.  A biopsy can do this.  

Open Original Shared Link

Keep in mind that her Lyme disease diagnosis could may be adding to the test confusion.  

Stacy0w Enthusiast

All of my blood tests were negative except the gliadin iga ab.  It was quite high.  From that alone I was diagnosed with celiac. Whether that was correct or not I don't know, but I do know gluten now really messes me up is I accidentally ingest some. All of my sons labs were negative, but taking him off gluten made a huge difference. Shrug. I know some here will disagree, but if he's doing better gluten free I don't care if it's celiac or not. He will be gluten free. 

vickyloveaimee Explorer

do you let your son 100 % gluten free?? at school too??

cyclinglady Grand Master
56 minutes ago, vickyloveaimee said:

My kid is gluten free at home (she does not have celiac disease).  That is because we have two gluten-free eaters in the house against one gluten eater. Dad and Mom win!  I do pack her some gluten things in her lunch and she eats gluten outside of the house.  But unless she was diagnosed with celiac disease, I would not expect, nor would I have a legal right,  to ask  her teachers or the school to provide special care for her (gluten-free food, no gluten in the classroom, etc.)

as long as she is healthy, what I feed my kid is my business.  

You have lots of testing questions, but I feel like there is something missing to the story.  You and your daughter had Lyme disease.  What other symptoms  led you to pursue a celiac disease diagnosis?  an elevated DPG IGG is often seen in patients with neurological issues (e.g. Autism, neuropathy, ataxia, etc.) 

Stacy0w Enthusiast
1 hour ago, vickyloveaimee said:

Yes. He is 100% gluten free. I treat him as a celiac.  We pack his lunch everyday and he has a box of goodies at school for times kids bring cupcakes or whatever so he isn't left out. If he gets gluten his stomach pains return and his attitude is in the toilet for a week so he tries very hard to eat Gluten-Free 

vickyloveaimee Explorer

my daughter starts to loseing weight(about 1.5 kg) from july this year,and her stool color has changed lighter too...so it made me to pusue some test on her.

anyway,my childs celiac blood test back negative(inconclusive) but she does carry dq2 gene,so I just let her go gluten free since august,her weight still not gaining.back much yet but like stacys son, her behavior and anxiety is gone after go gluten free...don't know could be other iillness to cause hersuddendly loseing weight...I'm just worry about her...hope can know the cause soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ironictruth Proficient
20 hours ago, vickyloveaimee said:

My daughters blood test back only has Gliad IGG positive,but her Gi doctor said it didn't mean anything,why? I thought positive it's positive,any idea???

Are they using the old gliadin or the new deamidated version? 

I had a very weird situation recently where in the hospital the attending suspected gluten exposure and the DGP IGA came back weak positive. 2 weeks later my old GI doctor ran a panel using the old test and it came back negative. 18 hours later my new GI doctor did the blood draw and it was using the new test and it came back moderate positive. I had no idea until that morning a follow up appointment had been made with the new GI doc from the hospital, hence my calling the old GI to ask for the panel to be done.  I was definitely not exposed to gluten during that 18 hours.

My old GI told me Last year, after seeing a weak positive DGP my primary had run, that gliadin is not reliable because it can be positive in other diseases.  he then forgot to run the blood work after I was on the gluten challenge. when he eventually did run the blood work A month after I went gluten-free I requested the DGP test because I've done the research on it. He gave me a lab with the old test checked off. I then showed him the DGP test on the mayo clinic website.  he did not really bother to read it he just wrote it into the lab. It came back again as a very weak positive.

fast forward to now. When his office recently called me to tell me the results were negative I said that's interesting because a majoR teaching hospital in our area took them and they were positive. Sure enough, he was STILL using the old test.  long story short, I spoke with a nurse over there provided them the Mayo Clinic website information again, and they did call me back to thank me after speaking with the doctor. But I will be moving on to into the new GI doctor.

My sibling with confirmed biopsy celiac was seronegative.  but that was several years ago, and if I had to guess, they probably did not run the DGP test for him either. 

so follow up and ask if they ran the correct test. Google did DGP Mayo Clinic. There is a section talking about how it replaces the old test. And if the doctor is not receptive then move on.

ironictruth Proficient

she needs to be eating gluten in order to have the testing done. My suggestion would be to get it done ASAP if you have her gluten free as it may still be positive.  however the test does drop quicker than the other test Do.If there are any questions after that she could always resume but a gluten-containing diet.

Archived