• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

johnny

Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum Ok?

Rate this topic

hey gang,

doing my elimination diet, and trying to figure out whether xanthan/xanthum gum is ok for celiacs out there. i used it in a biscuit recipe and didn't feel too well afterwards. the xanthum was bought from bob's so it is gluten-free.

anyone that has celiac disease and food allergies have problems with this ingredient?

is guar gum better?

thanks a lot

johnny

Hi, Johnny and welcome. Xanthan gum is fine--I use it frequently for baking. Have you checked the other ingredients? Sometimes, when you're in the early stages of trying to figure out what you can and can't eat, your system becomes more sensitive and you may have to re-evaluate some things.

hey gang,

doing my elimination diet, and trying to figure out whether xanthan/xanthum gum is ok for celiacs out there. i used it in a biscuit recipe and didn't feel too well afterwards. the xanthum was bought from bob's so it is gluten-free.

anyone that has celiac disease and food allergies have problems with this ingredient?

is guar gum better?

thanks a lot

johnny

I dont know how sensitive you are but I don't believe Bob's Red Mill products are 100% gluten-free because I react to all of their products. Of course, it could be something else you reacted to and not gluten. Some other people here have posted they've had reaction's from Bob's as well. Are you OK with the other Bob's gluten-free stuff?

Don't they use a dedicated facility for those products now?

I dont know how sensitive you are but I don't believe Bob's Red Mill products are 100% gluten-free because I react to all of their products. Of course, it could be something else you reacted to and not gluten. Some other people here have posted they've had reaction's from Bob's as well. Are you OK with the other Bob's gluten-free stuff?

Oh? I just got a bag of sorghum flour from Bob's. I have yet to use it though. Hope it's ok...

I've used both and feel fine afterwards...perhaps it is something else in the recipe?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php

this is what bob's says on its gluten-free line:

Bob’s Red Mill stone grinds flours in a dedicated room for the production of its gluten-free line and performs batch testing before processing and after packaging. The company adheres to the Codex Alimentarius standard – the international gluten-free food standard for manufacturers. While the current Codex gluten-free standard specifies a gluten limit of 200 parts per million (ppm), Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free products consistently fall below 20 ppm.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php

this is what bob's says on its gluten-free line:

Bob’s Red Mill stone grinds flours in a dedicated room for the production of its gluten-free line and performs batch testing before processing and after packaging. The company adheres to the Codex Alimentarius standard – the international gluten-free food standard for manufacturers. While the current Codex gluten-free standard specifies a gluten limit of 200 parts per million (ppm), Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free products consistently fall below 20 ppm.

Yeah...I've read that before and they use a seperate room...blah...blah...blah.

I dunno cuz I react to the flaxmeal and the buckwheat flour....thats all I've tried...scared of Bob's now. :(

I'm not positive about the buckwheat flour since I used it for pancakes and was licking my fingers which were covered with wheat germ oil from my lotion. :huh: It was pre-gluten-free diet and I dont know *exactly* what happened that day but the reaction is still pretty vivid in my mind.

I do react to the flaxmeal for sure though...I posted about it once cuz I thought I was losing my mind but others said they've had problems too. :unsure:

I think Carriefaith said her worst gluten reaction ever came from one of Bob's products...I think the flaxseed.

Guest Viola

Both are gluten free, but Guar Gum is sometimes used as a laxative, so you may be a bit sensitive if you have trouble with Diarrea.

hey gang,

is guar gum better?

thanks a lot

johnny

I googled both awhile back for my own curiosity. I loved Pamela's cookies and would always have an itchy mouth afterwords. Everything on the ingredient list I knew I was okay with except for xanthan gum. I can't remember what the source is for making that, but it does not agree with me. I use guar gum (cheaper too)

both ingredients are fine, gluten-wise, but some people are bothered, intestinally, by either.

hey guys

thanks everyone for the replies.

i used xanthum in a biscuit recipe that also used tapioca, palm oil shortening, and arrowroot. the result was itchy skin and a bit of wheezing, but then again that always could've been triggered by something else.

i am in the process of testing each ingredient on its own.

the recipe came from a book called "the all natural allergy cookbook." i don't have it with me, so i don't remember the author, but i believe her last name is martin. it is honestly the best gluten-free/allergy cookbook i have yet to find!!!

oh yeah, i also used flax seed in my egg substitute. perhaps that is the problem as yall have suggested, i know my mom cannot handle flax w/out having problems.

i cannot use ener-g's egg replacer since soy and i don't jive (which is difficult for me since i ate 95% vegan for 15+ years before i became sick), as of yet...

thanks again

johnny

I use Xanthan Gum with no problems, but I have heard of other people being sensitive to it. I have called and spoken with people at Bob's and they have assured me their products are safe and produced separately. Some people are just so sensitive that even if a product tests below 20 ppm, it is still too much. It sure would be nice if they would get some legislation about this. Right now it seems like everything is a gamble.