Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jennifer rayburn dehay

When To Expect To Feel Better And Weigh Gain

:D Hi everyone,

I just had my second visit with my GI post diagnosis. Even going gluten/lactose free I'm still struggling with weight gain and feeling better. I have been going on many web sites and getting everything I can to learn more about celiac disease. I've gone to all the local natural food stores for their gluten free selections and have been inspecting all labels before purchasing any of my foods. But, again it's going on 2 months and I feel I'm not making a lot of progress. My doctor doesn't seem to overly concerned. My biopsy and blood tests confirmed celiac. I'll be back in for blood work in 6 months to check my levels.

I guess I'm just anxious to getting back to feeling great again.

Can anyone tell me how it went for them in the beginning and how their doc handled post diagnosis?

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:D Hi everyone,

I just had my second visit with my GI post diagnosis. Even going gluten/lactose free I'm still struggling with weight gain and feeling better. I have been going on many web sites and getting everything I can to learn more about celiac disease. I've gone to all the local natural food stores for their gluten free selections and have been inspecting all labels before purchasing any of my foods. But, again it's going on 2 months and I feel I'm not making a lot of progress. My doctor doesn't seem to overly concerned. My biopsy and blood tests confirmed celiac. I'll be back in for blood work in 6 months to check my levels.

I guess I'm just anxious to getting back to feeling great again.

Can anyone tell me how it went for them in the beginning and how their doc handled post diagnosis?

Jen

Well, just how long were you sick before dx and gluten-free diet? And are you 100 gluten-free? I don't mean just foods (no barley, malt, wheat, rye, spelt, tritical, barley grass, wheat sprouts....) makeup? lotions? supplements?

Okay, what do you mean by not a lot of progress? If there is progress, even a little, it means you are on the right track. Every one heals at different rates, and you didn't say how much damage had occured. I wish I could give you a definite time line, but in reality, slow and steady is the best. Some of the posters here have leaky gut. Could you be having problems with that? And are you eating high protein? Even after being gluten-free for 9 years, my body still needs me to eat a high protein diet. If I don't, I'm wiped out, but not nearly as bad as being glutened. Oh, and if I could, I sure would give you the extra pounds I don't want.

Annette

gluten-free since Oct 1996

I've been gluten-free for about a year, and though I see definite and positive results, it's slow-going. Leaky gut is a big problem. I had unfortunately been eating gluten-filled food since childhood - and LOTS of it. So the damage is apparently severe :(

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.