This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Extreme weight loss, scared

cassy123

cassy123 Newbie

I have lost approx 12 lbs per year since going gluten free and am 5.5 and down to 101. Has this happened to anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Zodi1993 Apprentice

Hi Cassy, 

You don't mention whether you are Celiac or not? What was your reasoning for going gluten-free? My daughter lost 20+ pounds before her diagnosis. But she was still losing weight & it took more blood work to determine that she had more allergies to foods than we knew about. She can't have wheat, yeast, shrimp or sesame seeds. So you might want to consider having some food allergy testing done. 

Welcome to the forum ~

cassy123 Newbie

I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity and only began to lose weight from the day I went gluten free.

cassy123 Newbie

I've been tested for allergies, but have none

kareng Grand Master

Sounds like cutting Gluten out also cut out a lot of calories.  Try counting your calories and see if you are eating enough for the weight you want to be?  Increase your daily calories and you should gain weight, unless there is something else wrong with you.  Thyroid issues could be responsible, too.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I found I had to replace my carb calories from those old foods with fats, seems to stick better that way with weight. Try having snacks of cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc. in between meals and perhaps try taking BCAAs to maintain muscle mass. If you do not have carb issues then perhaps bananas, dates, dried figs, for snacks also. If your looking for a good complex carb beans, quinoa, and sweet potatoes work well in in your meal menu and can help maintain/gain weight.

cassy123 Newbie

Thanks for the ideas, what are BACCs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, cassy123 said:

Thanks for the ideas, what are BACCs?

Branched Chain Amino Acids.  BCAA they can help prevent muscle break down. I found taking bcaa and yohimbine hcl between meals helps with preventing muscles from breaking down. I also take them with a scoop of protein powder before bed and once again in the middle of the night.....otherwise I end up waking up feeling like I was hit be a bus and loosing a few lbs.

Archived