cassy123

Extreme weight loss, scared

Rate this topic

Hi Cassy, 

You don't mention whether you are Celiac or not? What was your reasoning for going gluten-free? My daughter lost 20+ pounds before her diagnosis. But she was still losing weight & it took more blood work to determine that she had more allergies to foods than we knew about. She can't have wheat, yeast, shrimp or sesame seeds. So you might want to consider having some food allergy testing done. 

Welcome to the forum ~

Sounds like cutting Gluten out also cut out a lot of calories.  Try counting your calories and see if you are eating enough for the weight you want to be?  Increase your daily calories and you should gain weight, unless there is something else wrong with you.  Thyroid issues could be responsible, too.

I found I had to replace my carb calories from those old foods with fats, seems to stick better that way with weight. Try having snacks of cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc. in between meals and perhaps try taking BCAAs to maintain muscle mass. If you do not have carb issues then perhaps bananas, dates, dried figs, for snacks also. If your looking for a good complex carb beans, quinoa, and sweet potatoes work well in in your meal menu and can help maintain/gain weight.

1 hour ago, cassy123 said:

Thanks for the ideas, what are BACCs?

Branched Chain Amino Acids.  BCAA they can help prevent muscle break down. I found taking bcaa and yohimbine hcl between meals helps with preventing muscles from breaking down. I also take them with a scoop of protein powder before bed and once again in the middle of the night.....otherwise I end up waking up feeling like I was hit be a bus and loosing a few lbs.