mrsfunkway

How Long Until I Can Tell I have been Glutened?

Rate this topic

It's officially been 1 week since my celiac dx via endoscopy. How long until I will be able to tell if I have been glutened? I had a gluten free pizza this evening from a reputable restaurant that uses separate cooking area, utensils, pans, etc. to make their gluten-free fare. However, I got pretty bad D a few hours later. Just trying to figure out if I'm really that sensitve already or it's another ingredient in their pizzas that causes so much distress. TIA!

It can be hard to tell in the beginning.  It takes months to heal and then get your GI system regulated.  Could have been all the hard to digest cheese or pepperoni.  Could have been the previous meal or the meal the day before that had gluten.  

The safest thing for you , for at at least a couple of months, is to not eat food you haven't prepared yourself.  Cheese can be especially hard to digest for a  few weeks/ months as the villa that Celiac damages are the part that helps you digest lactose.

Response time and symptoms differ from person to person, and the form in which you were exposed. For me I normally get tightening under my neck/jaw line in my lymph nodes from direct consumption within minutes followed by vomiting a few hours later.  Sometimes a cross contaminated or prepared/processed food it can take me 30-60mins before I noticed my gut and behavior changing. Sometimes its so small of a contamination I just find myself with softer stool and light anxiety 2-5hours later.