This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is dairy okay in the first few months?

Rowan13

Rowan13 Explorer

I realize that it is sometimes suggested to quit dairy at the same time as gluten. I've read that dairy is the primary cross reactor with gluten. (Sorry if I am not using the correct terms). Also that we process the (lactose?) in dairy in the part of the small intestine with the tips of the (villa?) that have been damaged by gluten. So some of my questions are:

1. Would consuming dairy in the first few months of going gluten free slow down the healing of the small intestine? Especially the villa?

2. How much would it affect healing?

3. If I feel comforted by having the dairy, could I "catch up" with healing after about 2 months and go dairy free at that point?

4. What about slowly decreasing dairy while increasing vegetables and other healthy food items.

I realize dairy causes me mucus and slight inflammation and can cause constipation.

I have been through major stressors for the last 5 years, including death of several loved ones but at a time of chaos so that I still haven't processed it or really honestly accepted it in my heart, strong feelings of suicide during that time,... well you get the message. I'm not suicidal now, but I am exausted. Migraines and food reactions, vomitting, for the last 3 months with hardly any reprieve. Until I finally learned I am reacting to gluten.

I never used to drink milk and only occasionally had cheese. I was dairy free about 5 years ago no problem. But for some reason, with hardly being able to eat I started drinking milk. If I"m gonna be honest I started guzzling milk. NOT like me at all. At the moment I have been gluten free for 3 weeks. I still need to wash down everything in the kitchen but haven't been strong enough up till this point. I'm increasing greens like arugula, baby bok choy, leaf lettuce, butterhead lettuce, shallots. I've added some eggs back in, even though I get a slight reaction. I eat apples and pears and a few berries. Ive cut out coffee and all caffeine. (I realized I was having a really bad delayed reaction to coffee) I"m avoiding nightshades. I'm still afraid to eat sweet potatoes or any nuts or seeds.  I feel like I can think again. Like my head/brain has cleared or something.

My plan is to increase the above foods and try small amounts of meats (tuna, duck, salmon) and to try small amounts of wild rice & hopefully white or brown rice. Rice would greatly open things up as I can't have coconut, almonds, soy or beans. At least right now. But the one thing that's making me stressed is giving up all dairy. I tried for 4-5 days and felt like I was dying. Anxiety, panick, weird feelings, bad insomnia. I know milk is addictive and has morphine in it. But I've had it again the last 2 days and feel SO much better.  Not perfect by any means but better than a few days ago.

Dairy was also causing me constipation but I was practcally living it along with apples and pears for weeks when very ill. (Well, I was also having wheat crackers not knowing what I was doing to myself). My plan for the constipation (which went away the 5 days I was dairy free) is to greatly increase greens, and veg and reduce dairy. Hopefully to the point that dairy is just about 1/8 or less of my daily eating and then ultimately zero. I am planning to also experiment with cooking, making cauliflower pizza, etc.

I didn't know how to make this any shorter. I know dairy is bad for me but I feel like I need a bridge to get where I'm going.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PinkyGurl Explorer

Not everyone has to cut out dairy.  I didn't have avenge any issues myself.  It's suggested because it's the villi that help us process the lactose.  Secondly it sounds like you are trying to do the elimination diet thing blindly.  That can be tough without a guideline to go by.  My suggestion to you is look up Autoimmune Protoc and start that up.  At least then you have information about the phases and reintroduction period.  Sweet potatoes are not a nightshade nor are they inflammatory.  In fact with you eliminating so much it would be beneficial to be eating them for their power house nutrients.  Remember you are deficient right now due to celiac so getting all the good vitamins is important.  Again take a look at autoimmune paleo protocol for help directing you in the food elimination.

kareng Grand Master

Why are you gluten-free?  Do you have Celiac?  If you don't have Celiac, that part about the villi damage doesn't apply to you.  You could just be lactose intolerant...or not.  Also, the nonsense about " cross- reactors" wouldn't apply either.  there is no scientific evidence of food that the body sees as gluten ( but aren't).

Irene Joanne Explorer

I can understand what you're saying about dairy.  Although I rarely ever drank milk- I really was addicted to other milk products after diagnose. I wonder if being low on calcium can cause that? I do need calcium supplements.  Its been a year now since being diagnosed with celiac and I'm finally at a point where I'm really  able to avoid dairy. I'm noticing a huge improvement in my energy levels now since cutting out diary. I know I did this backwards as often the recommendation is to avoid dairy at the beginning- but it was too overwhelming to do it all at once. I had a salicylate sensitivity for most of this year that had me cutting down on so many healthy foods- but that's getting better now. 

Rowan13 Explorer

Pinkygurl

I'd love to have something that I can use as a basic structure for what I'm doing. So far I'd only found things that were just about salicylates, or just about oxalates, or histamine, etc so I was trying to put all that together along with what doesn't make me very sick. I'm having a problem with milk and cheese at the moment and later I might try local goat milk yogurt. Right now I'm just cutting it all out to see how I feel for awhile. But it does take away a major source of fat. I haven't been eating any meat but I'm going to look at the autoimmune paleo protocol ~ I hadn't heard of it until reading your post. Luckily I love cooking so I'd be happy to try out new things. I used to love sweet potatoes so I'm going to try adding them back in also. I know they are gorgeous when cooked! I knew they weren't nightshades but I was getting really confused about what exactly I was reacting to. Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

Ps, Sorry for the late response ~ I was recovering from eating a packaged food that didn't work out too well. c:

Rowan13 Explorer

Hi Kareng,

No I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac. I think it was 5 years ago I kept telling my doctor that I had chronic diarrhea and loose stools and for some reason they kept laughing at me and telling me it was normal and because I ate a lot of vegetables. I was reacting to certain natural face lotions too and breaking out in hives or bright red splotches on my face but no one seemed to care. So I carried on only this past year or more things became more pronounced. I had to stop eating pasta and even gluten free oatmeal though I wasn't connecting it with anything specific until recently when I finally read about Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. I haven't been in contact with gluten for several weeks now and I feel like I have more clarity in my thinking, like when the flu wears off and you feel more like you are awake and alert. My stomach hurts less. I've stopped vomiting.  As for the dairy, yes, I could have lactose intolerance, I didn't realize that the idea of cross reactivity with gluten was just hypothetical with no basis. Thanks for letting me know. I'll just assume that it's a separate issue then. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the help!

Rowan13 Explorer
On 11/8/2016 at 10:01 AM, Irene Joanne said:

I can understand what you're saying about dairy.  Although I rarely ever drank milk- I really was addicted to other milk products after diagnose. I wonder if being low on calcium can cause that? I do need calcium supplements.  Its been a year now since being diagnosed with celiac and I'm finally at a point where I'm really  able to avoid dairy. I'm noticing a huge improvement in my energy levels now since cutting out diary. I know I did this backwards as often the recommendation is to avoid dairy at the beginning- but it was too overwhelming to do it all at once. I had a salicylate sensitivity for most of this year that had me cutting down on so many healthy foods- but that's getting better now. 

Hi Irene,

Yes, it's like I needed it. Which wasn't how I used to be. I'd have milk occasionally. But this was like I'd drink some and then an hour later really want some more. It seemed to feel good in my stomach too. And it was giving me more fluids, fats and maybe electrolytes.  But then I also realized I was getting adverse side effects, like congestion, clearing my throat and I think some inflammation and joint pains. I get about not stopping it until you felt better though. I don't think it's backwards if it helped you get to a better point. I think it's wonderful that you are noticing more energy. I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac either so I'm sure you had lots to deal with all at once. I was interested to find out about the opiates in dairy though and how it really can become addictive and difficult to quit for some. That might be another reason it was comforting to me if it had a calming effect. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond here! I know everyone is very busy with their own lives so I'm really grateful for your thoughts & kindness. Take care ♥

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gilligan Enthusiast

Dairy and opiates?  Uh...probably not so much...Open Original Shared Link

Archived