Rowan13

Potato starch free flour or bread?

Rate this topic

I'm trying to avoid potatoes and every pre made flour I've checked has potato starch. (I also can't eat buckwheat) Do you think it is possible to bake bread or pancakes, etc, without potato starch? I would just make my own flour but why is potato starch in everything? What does it do for the flour mixes?

4 minutes ago, Rowan13 said:

I'm trying to avoid potatoes and every pre made flour I've checked has potato starch. (I also can't eat buckwheat) Do you think it is possible to bake bread or pancakes, etc, without potato starch? I would just make my own flour but why is potato starch in everything? What does it do for the flour mixes?

try this recipe , its he best homemade rollup / lavash type bread i have made

Gobsmacked rollup bread - no rise recipe  

Ingredients

1 cup fine brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon instant yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 c. water

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2 eggs

2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (save for dusting pan/hands)

Directions

Mix together all dry ingredients (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt).

In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).

Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.

Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.

prepare a large jelly roll /cookie sheet pan with oil and lightly dust rice flour

Scrape dough onto pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)In order to make the spreading easier, oil parchment paper (cut to fit my pan) and then press out the batter.

Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

It will come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.

Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread

NOTE: Leaving the bread wrapped in a ziplock on the counter overnight will preserve the flexibility. Do not refrigerate!

kareng ~  That would make sense about it being cheap. Good, I'm glad it's not got some magical properties! I'll get some arrowroot and then I  think I'll be hitting the library for books on gluten free baking.  Or maybe just hang out in the gluten free baking aisles reading the blurbs on the Bob's Red Mill packages.  Thanks!