Karenshine

Brownie recipe-leaves me feeling 'glutened'

Rate this topic

I have a brownie recipe I have modified to make gluten free, and every time I eat it, I end up feeling 'glutened'-severe heartburn, gas, bloating, the works. I use my own gluten-free flour mixture, toll house cocoa, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs, and vanilla. All are labeled without glutinous ingredients. Eaten separately, I don't react to any of the ingredients. Any ideas what might be going on?

What did you sub for real gluten?  Gluten makes baked goods "stretch and bind".  Bakers often add more gluten (a separate ingredient) in bread.  Did your flour mixture contain any gums?  I personally can not tolerate Xanthan Gum yet it does not bother my hubby.  Too bad for me, I can not eat most commercially produced gluten-free bread products (still after three years!)   So, I use other gums like guar gum.  Pamela makes a decent gluten-free mixture that does not contain xanthan gum.  

Edited by cyclinglady

I had a very similar initial reaction when I remade my black bean fudge brownies.....I find the cocoa butter seems to bother me. End us using more of a blend of cocoa powder and coconut oil instead of chocolate chips. This might be it for you or it might be a synergistic effect with something and the dairy making it harder on your digestive system IE the breakdown of the milk and cocoa fats and proteins in combination.

Most chocolate has dairy in it and also soy.  So if you are reacting either of those they could be the issue.  Enjoy Life makes dairy free, soy-free chocolate chips.  Baker's Secret plain unsweetened chocolate bars have no soy or dairy also.

If it's not the chocolate the next most likely problem ingredient would be the flour mixture.  One of the ingredients might be contaminated with gluten.