Jonnyboy

Dealing with the rash

Rate this topic

Hi jonnyboy,

you may be thinking about dermatitis herpetiformis (DH).  DH is an itchy rash of small welts that is usually symetrical on the body.  It is caused by antibodies building up in the skin.  There is a section of this forum dedicated to DH.  My understanding is part of the treatment for DH is avoiding iodine, at least while the rash is active.

Here's a link to the DH forum subsection.  They have some really smart people about DH in there.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum/26-dermatitis-herpetiformis/

Welcome to the forum jonnyboy! :)

it sounds like you are talking about DH (dermatitis herpetiformis )

its very poison ivy looking, starts as a small red bump then turns to a watering blister and itches like crazy.

Cortisone helps, I found that some of the 8hour poison ivy itch lotions help.

My dr gave me clorbetasol(spelling?) it works AWESOME

however it has side effects such as thinning of the skin, thinning of fingernails.

talk with your DR about it, its one of those things you want to use as little of as possible and only for when the itch has you wanting to peal your skin off.

The only way to stop the rash is to not get glutened in the 1st place

Good luck, but seriously be careful with the amount of steroids in the creams, over time it adds up.

johnnyboy,

Niacin can help with the itching.  I don't know if it will completely get rid of the rash or not but being able to get rid of the scratching sometimes is half the battle.

See this thread where Knitty Kitty on this board used Niacin to help relieve the itching associated with the Celiac rash - DH.

To learn more how to use the Niacin Protocol to deplete your histamine reserve's (the thing that makes us itch) see this link that outlines the Niacin Protocol and how it can help manage season allergies.

http://getwellstaywellathome.com/blog/2015/06/seasonal-allergies-and-the-niacin-flush/

Still related to how we metabolize or don't in this case metabolize histamine.

Niacin can help metabolize our histamine reserves thus disarming our itchy scratchy reflexes common in rashes.

You might look into Sulfites too sometime people have similar rashes who have a sulfite reaction in the foods they are eating. 

If you have trouble with Sulfa drugs then Sulfites might be a problem for you.

See this link and discussion thread that have a lot of good links about issues sulfites in your food can cause an itchy rash.

I hope this is helpful.

Posterboy,