This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When will brain fog and stomach discomfort clear?

emberdunn

emberdunn Newbie

I've been gluten free for about a week and a half now, and though the symptoms I had were  mostly mild (constant stomach discomfort, brain fog, achey hips and legs, no severe pains), I'm just curious when those of you who had milder symptoms noticed them start to go away? My brain fog is killing me, it's causing me to make the silliest mistakes at work and around and I forget things two minutes after planning to do them or remember them. I just want it to go away. Plus the aches and stomach discomfort are still there as well. My pelvis is constantly crampy, possibly more so now that I am gluten free...? I just want some advice I guess. Thanks.

EDIT: I've gone gluten free because I had a blood panel positive for celiac and had an upper endoscopy and biopsy that officially diagnosed me with celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
10 minutes ago, emberdunn said:

I've been gluten free for about a week and a half now, and though the symptoms I had were  mostly mild (constant stomach discomfort, brain fog, achey hips and legs, no severe pains), I'm just curious when those of you who had milder symptoms noticed them start to go away? My brain fog is killing me, it's causing me to make the silliest mistakes at work and around and I forgot things two minutes after planning to do them or remember them. I just want it to go away. Plus the aches and stomach discomfort are still there as well. My pelvis is constantly crampy, possibly more so now that I am gluten free...? I just want some advice I guess. Thanks.

Are you gluten free because you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease?  Even if you have Celiac disease, going gluten free may not  " cure" everything.  If you have celiac, it can be months until you have fully healed.

emberdunn Newbie
15 minutes ago, kareng said:

Are you gluten free because you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease?  Even if you have Celiac disease, going gluten free may not  " cure" everything.  If you have celiac, it can be months until you have fully healed.

Yes, I have been diagnosed with celiac disease.

cstark Enthusiast

The symptoms will probably disappear over time.  It's like if you keep scratching at a sore, it will take longer to heal.  It's the same concept with your body healing for ingesting gluten over a period of time.  The body kept getting irritated from the gluten and it will take a longer period of time compared to a short time period.  At the beginning of going gluten free, it may seem like your symptoms are more pronounced because the body getting rid of the poison (gluten) at a faster rate.  The body is going through a detox mode right now.   All I can day right now is good luck.  I see you are a new member to this forum, WELCOME!  This is good place to ask questions or make comments you may have. 

I have also found it beneficial to keep a journal of this time in my life.  I have found it has helped me see where I have been and the progress and drawbacks that were overcome since I went gluten free. I don't make an entry every day, but more so when thoughts are spinning about my head and won't shut-up. :)   Just an idea.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

sunsetgrill Newbie

Hi it took my daughter a while once she stop eating Gluten ( also has Celiac) to have the symptoms totally clear. She has been living Diagnosed since 2008.  Unfortunately,  She has not yet made it 5 years without being exposed or I used the word poisoned.. mostly due to extended family cooking or restaurants.  It takes about 5 years for your intestines to heal.  Gluten hides in many places and she has become an expert on the hidden words in ingredients that could also mean gluten exposure. Like maltodextrin, and there are a lots of  others. the brain fogginess has a word now associated with it..   I will look through  my  old info and post a link that has a very extensive list of additives to avoid. The best way  to get over brain fogginess is to balance your simple sugars with protien. My daughter had to eat grapes at the same time as chicken breast for example.   The sugars can make you tired while your intestines are healing.  I also suggest having a bone scan done. Due the trauma her intestines went through she wasn't absorbing nutrients which caused her to be pre osteopenia .. at 16 that was hard to over come and she had to take vitamin  d and calcium together to rebuild her bone density.  I suggest  cutting your diet to strictly meat,  potatoes , yogurt and veggies, find a really good gluten-free vitamin and only cook for yourself for a while until your feel better.  then only find one gluten-free place to eat until you know you are ok with their food ( they are really gluten-free and understand how easy it is to cross contaminate) before adding additional restaurants to your  routine.,   Every exposure resets the 5 year clock were you will be more susceptible to other diseases like cancer .. which is awful so you need to stay very dedicated to staying healthy. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Here's my two cents....

That hip pain?  Mine was related to osteoporosis and resolved on a gluten free diet.  Getting a bone scan is excellent advice.  Then work with your doctor to determine the best course of action to build your bones.

There is a huge learning curve for the gluten-free diet.  It's all about trial and error, unfortunately.  So, take the advice of those that have walked in your shoes.  Focus on healthy,  naturally,  gluten free foods (fresh veggies and fruit), meats, fish and safe grains (like rice).  Add in nuts and legumes if you can digest them.  Avoid processed foods -- even certified gluten free ones until you see some improvement.  Do not eat out (it's like Russian Roulette) unless the entire place is gluten free -- at least until you have the gluten free down.

Each "glutening" can set you back.  That's why it takes most celiacs a year or longer to heal.  They get glutened easily.  Learn all about cross contamination and review our Newbie 101 thread located at the top (pinned) of the "Coping" section .  It has a few valuable tips.  

Finally, give it time.  It took time for you to get sick and time to heal.  Remember, this is a autoimmune disease like lupus, R. Arthritis, Crohn's, M.S., etc.  Except we know the trigger for a flare-up:  GLUTEN!  So, we are lucky in a way.  Flare-ups often don't last for 24 hours, but weeks to months (about three months is my recovery time from a glutening, but your mileage may vary).

In the end, recovery is possible!  You'll soon feel great and you will not miss eating gluten!  

Happy Healing! 

sunsetgrill Newbie
25 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Here's my two cents....

That hip pain?  Mine was related to osteoporosis and resolved on a gluten free diet.  Getting a bone scan is excellent advice.  Then work with your doctor to determine the best course of action to build your bones.

There is a huge learning curve for the gluten-free diet.  It's all about trial and error, unfortunately.  So, take the advice of those that have walked in your shoes.  Focus on healthy,  naturally,  gluten free foods (fresh veggies and fruit), meats, fish and safe grains (like rice).  Add in nuts and legumes if you can digest them.  Avoid processed foods -- even certified gluten free ones until you see some improvement.  Do not eat out (it's like Russian Roulette) unless the entire place is gluten free -- at least until you have the gluten free down.

Each "glutening" can set you back.  That's why it takes most celiacs a year or longer to heal.  They get glutened easily.  Learn all about cross contamination and review our Newbie 101 thread located at the top (pinned) of the "Coping" section .  It has a few valuable tips.  

Finally, give it time.  It took time for you to get sick and time to heal.  Remember, this is a autoimmune disease like lupus, R. Arthritis, Crohn's, M.S., etc.  Except we know the trigger for a flare-up:  GLUTEN!  So, we are lucky in a way.  Flare-ups often don't last for 24 hours, but weeks to months (about three months is my recovery time from a glutening, but your mileage may vary).

In the end, recovery is possible!  You'll soon feel great and you will not miss eating gluten!  

Happy Healing! 

Also if you decide to eat out make sure you ask questions. Don't be shy about it . Ask them what their gluten-free procedures are.. Separate fryer, separate  grill, Separatee toaster,  oh btw buy  a new toaster...  be sure the manager or owner understands.. Trust me many  don't.  They think the food can be cooked in the same place as the other food. They think they don't need to change their gloves, and even worse sometimes they think its a choice not a necessity.  If the correct prcedures aren't followed for most Celiac's this will give them a reaction depending on severity. Always err of the side of caution.. ASk questions  make  sure they understand !  Any waviness on the part of understanding don't eat there !  I run a restaurant and we take our gluten-free procedures very seriously but that is because I have first hand knowledge of how sensitive a Celiac person is and how debilitating it can be to get exposed to even the slightest amount of wheat.. due to my daughter.  Please do not ever assume a restaurant  knows how to keep you safe.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emberdunn Newbie

Thank you all! These responses really do make me feel better, relating to other people. I will do my best not to get glutened and hope these symptoms start to go sooner rather than later :)

• 3 weeks later...
Fbmb Rising Star
On 11/15/2016 at 1:18 PM, emberdunn said:

Thank you all! These responses really do make me feel better, relating to other people. I will do my best not to get glutened and hope these symptoms start to go sooner rather than later :)

Hi emberdunn :) how are you feeling? It looks like we were diagnosed at around the same time, and I'm still feeling icky. My stomach is weird too. Just checking on you!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Emberdunn,

Recovery can take months to a year or more.  It depends on a lot of variables as stated previously.  We don't need to detox from gluten, but we do need to avoid all gluten so that our immune system can relax and stop making antibodies.  Gluten doesn't hang around in the body any more than any other food does.  But the immune response does continue for a variable amount of time.

Brain fog is fairly common I think.  I don't know  any definite answer to why it happens.  B vitamins might help it some.  You should concentrate on your diet to promote healing.  Eating simple meals of whole foods is a good way to go.  Try to not eat anything with more than 3 ingredients on the label for a while.  Foods you make yourself are the best bet.  Plus you can always yell at the chef if they screw up the food!

Symptoms may seem worse for a while after going gluten-free.  But that should pass in time.  Hopefully in 6 months you'll be doing better.

• 3 weeks later...
emberdunn Newbie
On 12/2/2016 at 6:52 AM, Fbmb said:

Hi emberdunn :) how are you feeling? It looks like we were diagnosed at around the same time, and I'm still feeling icky. My stomach is weird too. Just checking on you!

Hi there :) I'm feeling okay, still not completely perfect as I have been glutened a few times when thinking I was safe. The brain fog has lessened a bit and my stomach isn't quite as weird, but I still don't feel quite right. Comparatively, though, I feel much better than when I started!

Archived