Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Alynnle

Annatto coloring

Rate this topic

I've read contradicting things online about Annatto food coloring, and I can't find a definitive answer. Some sites say it's safe but others say it can become cross contaminated in processing. I am a cheese addict, most cheeses (mainly cheddar and longhorn) I can eat with no problem, but the last few days I have felt seriously glutened. The only thing I've done differently is the brand of cheese I am eating. The only questionable ingredient is the Annatto. Has anyone else been sensitive to Annatto just randomly like this, with the same product and same ingredients, just a different brand? 

Edited by Alynnle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I buy and use annatto in my homemade vegan cheese sprinkles. I used to use lisanatti almond cheese that had it no issues. (Had to stop using them this year after they started using olive oil in it which I am allergic to)

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

I get very ill from annatto. Obviously not everyone does and Ennis uses it in vegan cheese. But this Australian site for the Failsafe diet for children focuses on eliminating additives that affect them. Annatto is natural and they started using it in more products recently instead of an artificial color. However, it is something that causes some to have reactions, including psychological ones. (Temporary it seems.) When I ingest it I'm jumping out of my skin, get headache and vomit.  Now that I look for it it's in so many things including Annie's cheese crackers for children. I was trying to find an explanation of why they think it can cause adverse effects but can't find it. Clearly some can eat it happily but I'm definitely not one of them.  I don't know the answer about cross contamination though, just that the substance itself can make people sick.

http://fedup.com.au/information/information/additives-to-avoid

http://fedup.com.au/index.php?searchword=annatto&ordering=newest&searchphrase=any&limit=20&option=com_search&limitstart=0

Some people do react to annatto, but it is not derived from a gluten containing grain;  from a celiac perspective it is gluten-free and safe.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007