ch88

Blood sugar/ anxiety

Rate this topic

I have been getting some high blood sugar readings in the morning and some anxiety. People with Celiac are more likely to get T1 diabetes. I am confident that I am not getting cross contaminated, but I might have another food sensitivity besides gluten. Has anyone else had problems with there blood sugar without diabetes?  

I am wondering if I have problems with digesting proteins, something wrong with my thyroid or pancreas. Also I get strong anxiety and panic attacks when I eat gluten.  I still have some problems with anxiety that I am trying to fix. 

If I test my blood sugar after a fast during the day it is well within the normal range, if I do it in the morning it is much higher. 

What are your readings?  Can you have your doctor do an A1C for you?  That might answer some questions as far as diabetes goes. I don't know alot about that subject so hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

I hope you get things figured out soon and the anxiety gets better.  It can be a hard fight, as I know from my own experience.

Hi!

Here's a great site to help you determine if you have diabetes or are on the way to developing it:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

I have done a lot of research on the subject, so this site is not trying to sell you anything.  There is a book and I have ordered it for my Aunt and Uncle who are not internet savvy.  It contains all the same information as the site which is free.  

When my HA1c went up, I was shocked.  My doctor told me the standard line...increase exercise and cut back on sugar.  I am super fit for my age!   I was not giving up on sugar!  Dang, gluten-free cupcakes and cookies were delicious.  I had already given up so much.  But I bought a cheap meter at Walmart, tested for a few weeks (1 hour and 2 hours after eating).  Found that so many carb-laden foods spiked me big time.  Showed all my data to my doctor.  He was impressed.  He was also impressed with my low carb high fat diet (basically eat to my meter), but told me that the American Diabetic Association was not much in favor of it because "It's too hard".  Hard?  Trying being gluten free!  We talked about TD1 and since honestly, I tested weird on my celiac antibodies, we chose to just monitor it.  It's been three years and I'm holding steady.  So, we don't think TD1 is in the cards for me.  If things start to go wonky, he'll test me for anitboidies ASAP.  Besides, diet and exercise is often the best solution whether you are TD1 or TD2.  It's all about managing the numbers.

Got to go.  Taking some elders to the doctor's.  Then off to cart high school kids to an ice cream social.  

Oh, don't panic.  Just make sure you are gluten free.  Diabetes is not the end of the world.  Ask someone who is both and they'll tell you that it's easier to have TD1 than celiac disease in many ways.  

I also asked some people on a diabetes forum. They said that it was most likely my spike in blood sugar in the morning was something called the "dawn phenomena" and that it did not necessarily mean that I am diabetic or pre-diabetic.  I was getting reading from 145 to 110 in the morning.  My bloods sugar before dinner is always within the 90 to 105 range though which is considered normal. 

I get a little bit of stress during the evenings and at other times, but it much worse in the early morning. This happens even when I get plenty of sleep. I am wondering if there is something up which is causing both the spike in blood sugar in the morning, and the anxiety. Maybe a problem with the thyroid or some other food sensitivity, or differences in how I metabolize things. I know I am not getting cross contaminated with gluten.

I could get an HA1c from a doctor but I'm not so worried about it now.