Rate this topic

Just had my first series of blood work done by my GI doctor. She tested to see what my Alpha-1-Antitrypsin that came out normal. She tested my Magnesium levels, those were prefect. My vitamin D levels were very low at 16.7 out of a range of 30-100 ng/mL. I stated taking a 400 UI of vitamin D3 two weeks ago. Are these vitamin D levels something that takes time to bring back around? Is there anything else I can do to help my body better absorb vitamin D. I was diagnosed with celiac at the beginning of October. Finally my GI also ran a Ceruloplasmin test looking at my copper levels. That came back low at 16 out of a range of 17-54 mg/dL. Is this normal with people that have celiac disease? How can I turn this number around or how long does it take to get those copper levels normal? 

Thank you all for your support!

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

I was taking 10,000 IU of D3 weekly until I was retested recently and found to have 30.5 on the Vitamin D result.  So now I am taking 5000 IU daily.  I also try to eat mackeral, sardines, salmon and tuna more often these days as they have some vitamin D in them.  I can't say how much you need to recover your level.  I know some people take 50,000 IU's though.

My vitamin D has been low for years in spite of taking vitamin D capsules and getting sunshine on purpose.  So I can't say that it is easy for me at least to recover those levels.  Trying to get them higher makes me feel better though.  Both physically and mentally.

The copper I don't l know about.