Jump to content
  • Sign Up
lacey

Allergic to the world ?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Ok guys...I have Celiac. I can deal with that...and know how now. Now I have a new issue....ALLERGIES.

I'm allergic to all of the major food allergens, and avoid them like the plague. I eat paleo which has remedied that problem...though it's not always convenient. Now I'm also allergic to everything else you can possibly have a reaction to...dust, mold, trees, pets, on and on and on.

I met with an allergist thinking I developed an additional autoimmune condition...come to find out I am literally allergic to everything. My responses to these allergens consist of fatigue, inflammation, weight gain, difficulty breathing, headaches, digestion problems etc.

He has me getting allergy shots two times a week. I feel worse than before and am at a loss. Now I'm on three antihistamine meds and they don't do squat!

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so what did you do? Do allergy shots work for you? I'm contemplating acupuncture and the gaps diet again...also scaling back at work and school just to get my health back on track.

Any thoughts are so appreciated. I'm tired of feeling terrible all of the time. Being told by my doc that I'm allergic to Colorado is disheartening...and being told I need allergy shots for three years is freaking me out. ?

XO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugg I hear you, I am safe in my bubble I call my home, I am bloody allergic to CORN in America, I got one of these new biodegradable plastics bags at a grocery store the other day and ended up with a burning rash and a fever as it was made of corn.  Top it off with other issues, I am lucky my pollen allergies can be dealt with antihistamines, I have responded well to them.  Skin contact and eating them still makes me quite sick. Corn always causes a high fever and blood blisters, most my others trigger vomiting if I consume food contaminated with them. I wish you luck and please share anything you learn, nothing has helped with my corn issues or lessening the reactions to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh Lacey, I don't know what to tell you as thankfully I don't have that kind of allergies but I did wish to tell you how much I hope someone can give you some great advice. {{{{{{{{{{{{Lacey}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ennis_TX, I'm sorry you're battling crazy allergies as well! I've never thought about the bags at the grocery store...yikes! Corn is also one of my 60+ allergens ha ha. I will certainly let you know if I find some sort of solution. My doctor said to move to the moon...umm not very helpful. If I can ever afford to live off the grid and grow my own food I will be one happy gal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have IgE or IgG allergies?  If IgE allergies, anti-histamines and allergy shots should help (and an epi-pen may be required).  If IgG allergies, i have to tell you that those tests are not always accurate.  Google it.    Consider researching Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  

Good luck!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 2:50 PM, lacey said:

Ok guys...I have Celiac. I can deal with that...and know how now. Now I have a new issue....ALLERGIES.

I'm allergic to all of the major food allergens, and avoid them like the plague. I eat paleo which has remedied that problem...though it's not always convenient. Now I'm also allergic to everything else you can possibly have a reaction to...dust, mold, trees, pets, on and on and on.

I met with an allergist thinking I developed an additional autoimmune condition...come to find out I am literally allergic to everything. My responses to these allergens consist of fatigue, inflammation, weight gain, difficulty breathing, headaches, digestion problems etc.

He has me getting allergy shots two times a week. I feel worse than before and am at a loss. Now I'm on three antihistamine meds and they don't do squat!

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so what did you do? Do allergy shots work for you? I'm contemplating acupuncture and the gaps diet again...also scaling back at work and school just to get my health back on track.

Any thoughts are so appreciated. I'm tired of feeling terrible all of the time. Being told by my doc that I'm allergic to Colorado is disheartening...and being told I need allergy shots for three years is freaking me out. ?

XO

Hi Lacey, I'm Laycee :D multiple allergies here too, including my pet. I did research and found that for my personal allergies that are not food related, pineapple eases my sinuses really well. I encourage you to find natural forms of antihistamines and see if they help at all. Do you use acupressure on yourself? I use this for both allergies and celiac issues. I don't like allergy shots because simply taking allergy medicines can make me feel sick or off and I just can't manage feeling like I've been glutenned when it's just a reaction to 'medicine'. If you're this sick and miserable I'd agree with taking a break for your health. Do you use cannabis? It can either help with the inflammation or sadly be another allergen. Take care!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2016 at 3:14 PM, cyclinglady said:

Do you have IgE or IgG allergies?  If IgE allergies, anti-histamines and allergy shots should help (and an epi-pen may be required).  If IgG allergies, i have to tell you that those tests are not always accurate.  Google it.    Consider researching Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  

Good luck!  

The IgG testing for environmental allergies are accurate if your allergies are bad enough.  It is very hard to trip them but I just had a mold panel done.  Not to see if I was allergic to molds because I already know they are severe. It was to see which ones out of a 15 mold panel I was allergic to and how bad they may be. I knew I would get positives because of my symptoms when it rains or is humid outside. I am allergic to 14 out of 15 molds, 2 of which are well beyond their classifications of severe.  No surprise there.  I am doing sublingual allergy treatment, which is the same as allergy shots only formulated for sublingual use. It is making me symptomatic but I choose to soldier through in the hopes that the treatment will build resistance.  It worked for me before and gave me great relief for a long time. I am hoping for a repeat performance on that one!

From what the doc told me, IgG allergy blood testing is really for those with severe allergies. The vast majority of those with severe allergies will trip the blood testing. Seeing as IgG is the most common antibody in the human body, when you are in a super allergic state, then it will show in IgG testing.  It can be very useful for certain cases.

I cannot speak for IgG food allergy testing because I don't seem to have a problem with anything but gluten and dairy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe in "coincidences" when it comes to celiac disease. I am getting tired of doctors who say that my multiple food intolerances have no relation to my celiac disease. This website and these many threads say differently. So, is anyone researching this? There must be a link between celiac disease and the inability of many of us to tolerate dairy, eggs, soya, preservatives and many other foods/food ingredients. So, my question is - who is looking into this worldwide? If there isn't anyone, how can we change this situation. Funding - can we crowdfund a PhD student research? Any hope of any Govt (public) or sponsorship (private sector) funding in either US, Canada or UK - even EU? celiac disease is not high priority in UK and I find the Coeliac UK a bit of a waste of precious funds.

Would be interested in comments from fellow sufferers.

Fergusminto, Scotland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say there is a huge relations, Celiac is a auto immune disease, it is compromising the immune system, and damaging our intestines where foods we consume are processed and absorbed along with a large part of our immune systems.

Allergies are a immune/histamine response from my understanding, if your immune system is overactive and on the fritz due to gluten and celiac disease is it no wonder it would react to other things and develop new allergies when overreacting to stuff it should not? Damaged intestines would also make your body more sensitive to stuff you eat, high irritability to certain foods I would think would be common place with this. it seems quite logical to me although I do not quite grasp the details to it. I know meats are hard to digest hence my issues with those, and certain other foods seem to cause my intestines to swell or just go nuts like peanuts, olives, soy. Dairy has always made me throw up, I used to eat it anyway but stopped that over 10 years ago. Seems with healing a few issues have gone away, casein no longer bothers me, nor does red 40, or bananas like they used to while other foods are moderation like sunflower seeds in small amount do not bother me. So I would say these correlate with the damaged intestines and irritability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fergusminto said:

I don't believe in "coincidences" when it comes to celiac disease. I am getting tired of doctors who say that my multiple food intolerances have no relation to my celiac disease. This website and these many threads say differently. So, is anyone researching this? There must be a link between celiac disease and the inability of many of us to tolerate dairy, eggs, soya, preservatives and many other foods/food ingredients. So, my question is - who is looking into this worldwide? If there isn't anyone, how can we change this situation. Funding - can we crowdfund a PhD student research? Any hope of any Govt (public) or sponsorship (private sector) funding in either US, Canada or UK - even EU? celiac disease is not high priority in UK and I find the Coeliac UK a bit of a waste of precious funds.

Would be interested in comments from fellow sufferers.

Fergusminto, Scotland

Hi Fergusminto,

Dr. Alessio Fassano is the leading researcher on celiac disease.  He has suggested a link between gut bacteria, genes, and food intolerance.  He discovered a chemical called zunulin that regulates the passage of "stuff" from the gut into the body.  It seems people with celiac disease make too much of this zonulin in their body.  Anyway, try searching for "Fassano" on the forum and you should find some info.

Edited by GFinDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Hi Fergusminto,

Dr. Alessio Fassano is the leading researcher on celiac disease.  He has suggested a link between gut bacteria, genes, and food intolerance.  He discovered a chemical called zunulin that regulates the passage of "stuff" from the gut into the body.  It seems people with celiac disease make too much of this zonulin in their body.  Anyway, try searching for "Fassano" on the forum and you should find some info.

Here's a great video by Dr. Fasano on the subject:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for this feedback. I had never heard of zonulin but the research seems to be a major move forward. Glysophates I knew about and even have/had Roundup in my garage and have used it often on the driveways. About to read Alessio Fasano's studies. Excellent site, thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2017 at 2:00 AM, knitty kitty said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24678255

 

This is an article that I found may explain why so many people with celiac disease seem to react to almost everything.  It's a scary article. 

The article seems to implicate Round Up as a cause of Celiac, which is a bit ridiculous as Celiac Disease has been around for many, many more years than Round Up has.  I am not defending Round Up because it is nasty stuff, I just do not think it is a major factor in other food intolerances that can happen with Celiac.  There are many different reasons why people develop additional intolerances and many times, they go away with healing. Not always, though, and that can be from many different reasons also. Doctors are notoriously bad with food related medical issues so finding out the true causes will be forever challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Lacey,

Hi Lacey,

I had pretty nasty hayfever some years ago, before I went gluten-free.  My allergies started about 40 years prior to going gluten-free.  I took allergy shots for 6 months at one point.  I think they did help some.  What really helped me allergy-wise  though was going gluten-free.  My hayfever went way minor after being gluten-free for a year.  I still have a allergies to cats and dogs. but they don't bother me as much.  I just wash my hands after touching them.

It used to wash my face and hands fairly often in summer and fall to get the allergens off my skin.  That helped some.  But if you are eating something you are IgE allergic to, that would be a real bad idea.  IgE type immune reactions can be deadly if severe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gemini, 

The article  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24678255

says that glyphosate in Roundup blocks certain chemical pathways in the body *triggering* Celiac Disease.  Glyphosate causes all sorts of health problems by itself.

I'm saying that since glyphosates are sprayed on other food crops, perhaps the use of glyphosates on soy and corn, often used in gluten free foods, is causing illness, too.  

There are many reasons why people develop additional intolerances.  I agree.  This may just be one of them for some people.  

I found these articles recently. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27640315

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18193828

The articles describe how a food additive used in some gluten free products actually makes Celiacs reactions worse.

We don't know what chemicals are going into our foods.  We don't know the long term effects these chemicals will have on how our bodies function.  Perhaps these are just some  of the things that contribute to a poorly functioning gastrointestinal tract.  

 Zonulin articles, too!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22731712

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21248165

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...