Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

k52381

2yr old finally getting blood tested.

Rate this topic

I'm so nervous, my 2yr old will finally be tested for celiac tomorrow morning. It took me 6 months to convince his doctor to test him. I took the doctors advice and put him on a gluten free diet to see if it helped... boy did it ever. Then they tell me he has to be on regular food for 6 weeks!! Was the longest 6 weeks ever, poor child. I have also found he is lactose intolerant so I put him on silk, that has helped some. I'm just worried that his test will come back negative, but either way he will be kept on a gluten free diet no matter what. I am excited to start potty training with him in couple of weeks after he been off gluten for a bit to get him back under control.

I have 2 other kids, should I put them on a gluten-free diet as well? I even got tested, mine was negative but I do feel so much better off gluten that I eat gluten free already.

By saying he's going to be tested, what kind of testing? Celiac blood panel or endoscopy?

Good for you being persistent & getting the doctor to agree to test him! It's awful that we have to go to those lengths but I'm very glad you stuck with it and didn't let it slide.

As to the other 2 kids, do they show any symptoms? I would wait to make a decision based on what the testing for your son comes back as.

7 hours ago, frieze said:

that doc was simply cruel to that child!  bottom line, just plain cruel.

My sister has celiac, and she even said that 6 weeks for regular food was cruel. His tummy is so bloated, he is covered in little bumps that itch, and his bottom was so sore by the end. Changing 5-6 dirty diapers a day! I'm so glad the test is done, I put him back on gluten-free foods already. I'm not waiting for results, because I already see how gluten treats him. Even if it comes back negative, he may have the sensitivity and don't deserve to be miserable.

Make sure the doc is doing the full celiac panel for any blood testing ... my sister's doc only tested 2 things, didn't even do the control test, so all her tests came back negative but she's got more symptoms than I do!

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replaced by the DGP tests