SandMer

how does everyone deal with severity of gluten symptoms?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the site, I've read lots of stories though. My question is two parts really. I ate an apple yesterday that I had sitting in the console of my truck. About 45 minutes later I started getting the telltale pain in my side. Thinking back I remember my daughter left her poptart in the cup holder a couple weeks ago...could that have really been it? Is severity really that bad? My second question is, the pain I get is always my right side right around my  hip bone. The pain lasts about half an hour but is so bad I can hardly breathe, it feels like an ovarian cyst. Does this sound familiar to anyone? My symptoms follow the same path, pain, bloating, muscles hurt, head ache, cold like symptoms, severe rash just to name a few.

It is entirely possible that your apple touched residue from the pop tart and caused your symptoms.  Right after I "got better" but was still figuring things out I ordered a burger and removed the bun.  There was no visible residue on the burger.  I still had symptoms (albeit mild ones) after.  A crumb, even an invisible one, can be all it takes.  

That said, I never fare well with fruit and veg.  A few months ago I went on a diet where I replaced all my midday meals and snacks with raw fruits and vegetables.  Apples, carrots, celery, cucumber, etc.  I had to scale it back because every couple of days I would get horrible cramps and diarrhea.  I just do not tolerate fiber well at all.  But it's a bit better because a few years ago I couldn't even eat a single apple every day or I'd get the same thing.  (Still can't eat bananas though.  I might as well drink a bottle of Ex-Lax.)

I honestly can't say whether the pain you mention is necessarily gluten or not.  Personally, after years and years of intestinal inflammation, sometimes food just doesn't react well.  The only thing my body really agrees with 100% of the time is meat.  

Hi Sandmer,

It could be cc from the apple.  Remember we are talking about an immune system reaction.  The same immune system that attacks germs so small we can't see them with the naked eye.

Your symptoms are different than mine but that doesn't make them invalid,  There is massive variation in symptoms among celiacs.

Regarding the rash. have you read up on DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) ?  DH is a very itchy rash that people with celiac can get.  There is forum section dedicated to DH.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Edited by GFinDC

Thank you both! I don't have much more then a diagnosis from my dr. It was basically a here's what you have, avoid gluten, good luck. So I'm learning all by myself. I have looked up the DH, and that's definitely what my rash is. I feel like I'm kind of alone in this, even though my family is amazing, I feel like such a burden. That will fade with time I suppose. Just have a hard time dealing with this. I bring food with me and even that has to be handled differently 

Brand new to site do stomach pains flare up on and off for days after being glutenized?  My daughter is new to this , also type 1 diabetic with hashmotos to top it off just looking for answers and what is the best relief for the stomach pains 

2 hours ago, Ware96 said:

Brand new to site do stomach pains flare up on and off for days after being glutenized?  My daughter is new to this , also type 1 diabetic with hashmotos to top it off just looking for answers and what is the best relief for the stomach pains 

Welcome Ware96!

Everyone has different ways of coping with an accidental glutening.  For me, I try to cut back on activities and eat soft well-cooked (even fruit) foods that are easy to digest.  Think stews and soups.  Cut out all processed food as much as possible until you feel better.  I become temporarily lactose intolerant after a glutening too.  Frankly, eating anything can hurt!

Remember, celiac disease is like lupus, MS, RA, Hashi's, except we know the trigger for celiac disease -- gluten.  An exposure can cause a "flare-up" (your body starts attacking your small intestine) that can last for days, weeks, or months (it is about three months for me).  Each exposure can result in different responses, oddly enough.  

Read out Newbie 101 tips under the "Coping" section.  I think you will find it useful.  

We are here to help each other!  ?

Hi ware96,

I like Pepto Bismol for gut pain.  Also I drink peppermint tea when glutened and take aspirin.  Peppermint tea can help relax stomach muscles and get gas out.  I seldom drink it except when having digestion problems.

Lots of water can be helpful too.  Perhaps some Milk of Magnesia if needed.

Symptoms can vary a lot.  They may drag on for weeks to months after a glutening, but may not too.  It's literally a crap shoot! :)

Edited by GFinDC