dmason2191

Compostable Plates and Bowls

Rate this topic

Hey there,

So, I work for a dining services company at a University, and we are very into compostable plates and bowls and other products. Looking through one of the catalogs today I noticed that some products were made from wheat. Does this affect me or anyone else with Celiac Disease or will it be too processed to make me sick? The company I am currently looking at is World Centric

Thank you for your help

So, of course it is "naturally" gluten free, but they do not mention any sorting methods, etc.   Not all wheat is collected at the time of harvest.  It falls to the ground or remains on the stalk.  Plus, this company gathers the stalks in China and the final prduct is not tested.  Humm.  I would need more research.  Honestly, this is not a food product.  So, does it really have to comply with the FDA?  I do not know.  Curious to find out. 

Wonder why it is not certfied for home composting?  I compost.  Oh, i see their research is based on a 7th grade science project.  I guess i would stand behind some 7th graders.......ha!  

I wouldn't want to use any product made from wheat in a cafeteria setting without being informed of the source of the material.  It's too easy for mistakes to happen in manufacturing that can cause gluten contamination.  If the products are not tested to confirm they are gluten-free I don't think they can be labeled gluten-free in the USA.  For that matter, I don't think any food product containing or made from wheat, rye or barley can be labeled gluten-free in the USA.  So don't get too far into purchasing until you make sure you won't be stuck with something unusable.

Many celiacs will wash their hands before eating if they have touched anything with gluten in it as a precaution.  I think the are right to do that in order to avoid getting sick and having pain for weeks.  Not being informed of a possible gluten contamination issue is something that could disturb some people's peaceful exteriors.  If you don't have celiac disease and suffer the effects you may not understand the pain it can cause.

It's great that you asked about the issue though! :)

Ok, forum is acting screwy.  I wouldn't willingly eat from plates or bowls made from wheat even if they did say they are gluten-free.  I changed my entire diet years ago to avoid gluten and sure don't want to risk an immune reaction and physical damage to my body just to satisfy some university policy on composting.  I might be willing to burn all the gluteny made from wheat plates and bowls for you though given a chance.

I think I posted about this a few years ago.  It probably wasn't the same company.  but they explained that, unless you ate chunks of the plate - you might then get a little gluten.  Its the way this stuff is processed and coated and glued, etc .  that said, I think I would feel odd eating off a plate made from the straw from wheat if I knew about it.  :blink:

dMason might be too young to recall Chinese Baby Formula that had Melamine in it and killed and sicken so many Chinese children.  It has just been 10 years, but I do not buy food items (even from American parent companies) from China.  I hope China's food supply has improved, but do i need to take additional risks?

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/from-milk-to-peas-a-chinese-food-safety-mess/?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FMelamine&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=collection