Rate this topic

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what they think of these results. This was done in 2015 and my doctors response by email was  " I got your labs and everything looks great except you are still gluten allergic. Thus I would highly recommend off all gluten as those people who are gluten allergic can actually develop a rare form of small intestine cancer with persistant use. So I would be careful."   

ANTI-ENDOMYSIAL 1:10 HI <1:10  

TRANSGLUTAMINASE,IgA,Ab 0.9   <7.0 ELiA U/mL
TRANSGLUTAMINASE,IgG,Ab 0.8   <7.0 ELiA U/mL

She tells me to stay off of gluten but then to just be careful.  

Thanks for any input! 

Welcome to the forum!  

You have a positive on the celiac panel.  Your doctor should have referred you to a Gastroentrologist for further testing.  Celiac disease is not a gluten allergy.  Celiac disease is a autoimmune disorder that is triggered by gluten.  Other autoimmune disorders like thyroiditis, lupus, MS and RA have unknown triggers.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

If you are still consuming gluten, consider testing.  If you have been gluten free since 2015, read our "Newbie 101" coping section to insure that you are gluten free compliant (plus, great tips).  As for cancer, that is one thing your doctor (and i would get a new one) got right, but cancer is really rare.  

Thank you both.  This is the third positive result I have had since 2012.  I did go to a Gastroenterologist in 2012 but it was because she also found HPylori so we were more focused on curing that.  My doctor(s) really haven't been clear enough though and I only realized she thought I had Celiac when I just saw it on my patient chart.  I guess she knows I am terrified of the scope and that is what she says Gastro would recommend so in that case just stay off gluten. I definitely needed more education about it though.  Without having symptoms I have been on and off a gluten-free diet all this time. Now, with a potential Lupus diagnosis also I did more research and found this forum thankfully. I plan to stay gluten-free forever now so I will be reading and asking more questions I'm sure. 

Edited by CMC74
typos

oh my! hearing a doctor use the phase gluten allergic is so cringy. you would hope they would know you can't be allergic to gluten and that the test you had wasn't an allergy test. I can't believe he didn't even mention celiac disease to you considering you tested positive for it. you definitely need to find a doctor who is better informed. did they test you for any vitamin deficiencies as well? like iron or b12? good to hear you are going to be completely gluten free now. :)

Agreed, Emma! I have been tested for many other things but all are fine. I am usually a little low on D3 but ok after remembering to take supplements for a few months. I only realized she thought I had Celiac disease when I saw she added it to my chart on the patient portal. My first test was in 2012, she added that in 2015 but failed to tell me specifically the blood tests are pretty specific and I probably have it  :-(  Hopefully I am not learning all this too late and going gluten-free now at 42 will be enough!