TaraZ

Do i have celiac disease???

Rate this topic

Long story but I'll do my best to make it short...

6 months ago I suddenly broke out with red bumps on my forearms,  thighs,  butt, and feet. And they are very symmetrical. The bumps on my arms itch a little but that's it. 

I went to a dermatologist who thought it was a contract dermatitis have me topical steroid cream. 6 months later zero change in bumps.

I recently had an endoscopy because I've been having constant diarrhea and horrible fatigue and occasional blood in the stool.  I had a colonoscopy before and that was clean.  So the endoscopy found a small ulcer in the duodenum. The biopsy came back negative for celiac.

I also have a history of taking nsaids (celebrex) so the Dr thinks my ulcer is due to that.  

But heres the kicker...

I've been gluten free for 8 years (by choice not because I have ever been diagnosed with celiac) and the red bumps appeared the day after I ate a couple bites of wheat pasta....I was on a plane and they served pasta, I am very good at being gluten free but I thought it wouldn't be a big deal you eat it so....

Anyway I've been sick on and off for the last 3.5 years.  2 years ago I got really skinny and I was eating  a lot of calories.  I was exhausted all the time.  I felt horrible.  I went to the doctor all the time and they never found anything wrong with me. it was very frustrating. Then I finally gained weight back but I'm still very tired.  

I'm wondering if I have undiagnosed celiac. but I'm all ready gluten free ! 

I'm seeing my dermatologist soon and I'm going to demand a biopsy of my skin lessons. I'm scared I'm not going to get good care here,  I live in hawaii and it's hard to find good drs.

Hi Taraz,

You probably won't test positive for celiac disease if you are already eating gluten-free.  Celiac testing requires a gluten challenge of eating, gluten for a time before the testing.  Two weeks eating gluten for the endoscopy and 12 weeks for the blood antibody testing.  About a 1/2 slice of regular gluteny bread is adequate per the University of Chicago ceilac center.

You could ask the doctor to test you for nutrient deficiencies also.  Celiac damage can cause malabsorption of nutrients and its good to know if you have that problem.

Welcome to the forum  Taraz! :)