chocchip

cheating?!

Rate this topic

A few weeks ago we went out to dinner with some friends and one of their kids is gluten-free.  She claimed that she is allowed to cheat every once in a while and then proceeded to order herself a hamburger with fries from the menu followed by cake for dessert.

My jaw literally hit the floor.  Her father said nothing and shrugged.  

OK, not my family.  

I've been gluten-free almost 8 years and would not think to cheat even though I do not have immediate symptoms.  Both my daughter and I are gluten intolerant as well as our friend's daughter.  

My daughter however watched this transpire and now thinks she can do the same.  OMG.  How do I deal with this?  My daughter is 15 and our friend's daughter is 16 or 17.....so yeah, there's some rebellion/testing going on.

I read a while back that kids brains don't fully mature until they are 18 to 20 or so.  So their decision making skills are not really up to par as they say until then.  I am not sure what excuse us older people have though... :)

If she is gluten intolerant, she may not have such serious symptoms, as it is not the same as being coeliac. With Coeliac disease it is imperative that you do not eat gluten/wheat as if you do not adhere to a gluten free diet, it can cause serious disease, such as cancer or cause another auto-immune disease.