DrummerGirl231

Should I replace my barely-used tupperware?

Rate this topic

I have some plastic tupperware containers I bought before going to college that I've barely used. I think the only time any of them have had gluten in them was my first semester before my symptoms started and one was full of cookies. 
They've all been washed since, but with the scrubber in my mom's kitchen that she uses on all her dishes that don't go in the dishwasher. 
Anyway, the containers don't have scratches or stains or anything, so if I wash them again with a new sponge, are they safe? Or should I buy some glass ones because plastic is porous and can harbor gluten, scratches or no scratches? 

Hi DummerGirl,

I'd use them if they are not scratched.  Plastic isn't really porus and absorbent like wood.  It is a problem when plastic gets all scratched up because some gluten can get stuck in the little scratches, not absorbed.  If you clean them well and don't cross contaminate them with the gluteny sponge you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum Drummer Girl! :)

On 12/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, GFinDC said:

Hi DummerGirl,

I'd use them if they are not scratched.  Plastic isn't really porus and absorbent like wood.  It is a problem when plastic gets all scratched up because some gluten can get stuck in the little scratches, not absorbed.  If you clean them well and don't cross contaminate them with the gluteny sponge you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum Drummer Girl! :)

Thanks so much! Trying to figure out all this kitchen stuff is a headache in and of itself! 

I've been switching over to glass whenever possible for the past few years due to plastic breaking down and leaching chemicals in food... even BPA-free plastics.  Anything acidic, like tomato products, vinegar bases, fruit juices etc, accelerate the breakdown.  I still have to use plastic in the freezer for some things, but I try to avoid it and never, never heat anything in the microwave that is in plastic.  Heat changes the composition and releases the chemicals into the food.  When did life get so tough, huh?  Ugh!

Debbie

Great ideas!
Today I bought myself two glass tupperware containers and a set of Mason jars. Now I just need to eat something out of the jars with a spork that normally belongs on a plate and I'll be one step closer to fitting in with the other young'uns of my generation. lol
I never liked the way plastic tupperware wares down (and starts to stink!) and I never reheat anything in plastic containers. I feel like it makes leftover peas into little green balls of cancer. Blech! =P