This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Celiac with major stomach issues unknown reason

rattler03

rattler03 Newbie

I was recently diagnosed with Celiacs. I have been following gluten-free strictly and basically eating lots of fruits and vegetables until I can figure out what I can and can't have. About a week ago I started having major stomach issues. Every time that I eat something, I immediately have to go to the restroom. I often have severe stomach cramps that will not go away unless I apply heat. I can't eat anything without going to the restroom and I am always nauseated. I was drinking a smoothie with almond milk and fruit in the morning and even that I can't handle. Has this happened to anyone before after going gluten-free? How can I fix this issue? What can it be that is causing this? Am I doing something to cause it? Please help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb-rn Contributor

How long have you been gluten free?  There are probably some toxins working their way out of your system.  Fruits are probably not your friend right now due to high carbs.  Stick with more protein, say fish and chicken and coconut oil... it's very healing for the gut.  Eat green salads with plenty of olive oil & vinegar to soothe your inflammed gut.  Are you eating dairy?  That is an inflammatory for many people.  Once you give up gluten, you will be eating a different ratio of foods and that may cause you to realize you are sensitive to many things.  Look up AIP diet protocol.  That may help you heal.  It could be rough for a little while until you get it all sorted out!  You'll get through it... keep asking questions!

Debbie

cyclinglady Grand Master

Maybe a new intolerance like fructose or lactose?    How long a celiac?  Go to a diet of fresh meats and poultry and veggies that are cooked well (think stews and soups....mushy) for  a week or a month,  avoiding white potatoes and other nightshades.   If you feel better, start adding foods back in slowly and keep a journal.  

Re-check your diet and that includes medication and supplements.  I stopped all supplements for a month when i was diagnosed.  I take none now that i have healed enough to absorb my nutrients through diet alone.   I would recommend certified gluten-free supplements anyway until you have mastered the diet.   Do not eat out until you are well.  If this is not successful, talk to your doctor.  Did they check for SIBO and H. Pylori when you were scoped?  

There is a steep learning curve to the gluten-free diet.  Hang in there.  

rattler03 Newbie

Debbie,

I was diagnosed in late October so it is very new to me. I had no idea that fruits would be hard right now...that's good to know because I have literally been eating mostly fruits and vegetables since then. This is very difficult to get the hang of. I don't see the doctor again until late January so I'm really having a hard time.

cyclinglady Grand Master
4 hours ago, rattler03 said:

Debbie,

I was diagnosed in late October so it is very new to me. I had no idea that fruits would be hard right now...that's good to know because I have literally been eating mostly fruits and vegetables since then. This is very difficult to get the hang of. I don't see the doctor again until late January so I'm really having a hard time.

This might help.  It's our Newbie 101 thread about gluten-free tips, etc.  

deb-rn Contributor

It just doesn't seem fair when you see people around you eating so much worse than you do and getting away with it!  With every dietary change, the body has to learn to go without something.  I've been reading lately that the food antibodies running around our bodies actually cause us to crave that particular food... kind of like the army is ready and wants you to bring someone in to fight against!  That made a lot of sense when I read it.  If you had lots of different antibodies to lots of different foods and now you take a food away, that army is going to irritate you hard until they finally decrease and leave.  Now all of a sudden, you have another army that gains strength because the first army went home... they see opportunity to irritate you now and do their best to get you to eat what they are built to destroy.  Of course when you eat that thing... it sets up a set of responses that may not be pleasant to deal with.  This can go on and on until you eliminate the last thing that your body reacts negatively to.... and you never had a clue!  Our bodies are amazing and frightening all at the same time!  I just started a very detailed food diary today tracking calories, fat, protein and carbs.  I just tallied it up and it was fascinating to see how it stacks up!  I am trying to figure out why I am not dropping weight right now.  I may have to play with my % a bit.  Seeing it in black and white is quite enlightening!  I actually am closer to my intended numbers than I thought!  Increasing my fat intake is the hardest part for me.  Not that I'm opposed to it, it's just that... how much olive oil can I stand with a salad, or how much butter on cabbage?!  I'm learning all the time and my diet has evolved as I learn and follow medical research.

Keep trying and maybe try an elimination diet... AIP protocol to de-stress your gut and begin healing.  Don't rush into the challenge portion... let yourself heal a while before you reintroduce the likely offenders.

Best of Luck!
Debbie

Archived