cstark

celiac rlated or just really gluten sensitive?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for about a year now, and have felt great.  We had gone out to eat for my brother's birthday over the weekend, and he chose the place to eat.   I was so very careful about what to eat or not eat while at the restaurant.  The waitress even gave pointers on what would be glutened or cc'd by gluten, and I had followed it to the best of my ability.  However, after about two-three hours I started getting the dreaded brain fog.  Thank goodness it started after my concert.  This lead into a foggy, crabby, and twitchy weekend.  Things finally started to even out by yesterday early evening.

My question for you all is this: Does reactions to gluten come this early if it was NCGS or would be an indicator of Celiac?  I will not be getting the endoscopy due to the extreme nature of my symptoms after even a molecule of gluten exposure.

Who can say?  We all exhibit different symptoms when glutened (celiac disease or NCGI).  The only way to know for sure is an celiac disease blood test for a definite confirmation.  But we can't do that after every glutening.  And believe me, glutening symptoms can change.    Best to move forward and avoid eating out.  I know that no restaurant food is worth getting sick for me.  Call me paranoid, but it's the truth.  It's how I best function.  I eat out at 100% gluten-free restaurants (exception a sandwich shop who has a celiac disease kid and they have a separate assembly line and are highly trained) only.  My hubby is more adventurous, but my reaction is usually too severe.  If traveling internationally, I am willing to take risks.  In the US?  Not so much.   I do go out, but I usually order a drink and enjoy the company.