This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

frozen bags of veggies

pdm1981

pdm1981 Collaborator

Does anyone know of a good safe brand of frozen veggies. I'm very busy and they would be very good to have in hand for a quick fix. I used to use Birdseye but for some reason kept having reactions to their rice and other plain veggies. Did some research and found this:

"While our manufacturing facilities follow the accepted good manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items."

I know that fresh is the way to go but it would be nice to have around. Anyone out there got some brands that are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have never tried the frozen rice things - I would think those would be the most likely to have cc.  I use any brand of plain frozen veggies.  there is no way to get fresh peas or corn, etc most of the year, so frozen are a good choice.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can see your  concern about frozen veggies from BirdsEye who continues to expand their product lines to include flavored veggies and it has  crossed my mind too.    I live in CA, the best place for most fresh fruit and vegggies, and we eat with the seasons.   But I do buy frozen peas and corn.  I wash them off just as i would a fresh veggie before use.  I am not keen about zapping them in their plastic "cooking" bags so i cook them in a glass bowl (my personal preference).  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

There stuff used to be safe......pictsweet should still be safe. Might have to start making my own in vacume steam pouches again. 

Lawrence T. Newbie

I have been buying some frozen veggies, broccoli, and things, from Bj's wholesale near me. They are certified as gluten free and haven't bothered me. As for Birdseye stuff, I stay away from anything flavored or seasoned in their lines. I try to get fresh as much as possible.

pdm1981 Collaborator

Buying fresh is the way to go but now its winter so I'm looking for some frozen veggies. I always got the reaction on the Birdseye non flavored stuff because of the shared lines. I wonder about Green Giant? What brands have you guys found to be safe?

• 3 weeks later...
Fbmb Rising Star

I read that C&W is safe. I buy their frozen zucchini. I had a weird belly this morning after eating Walmart brand frozen green beans yesterday. They don't say on there that it could contain traces of wheat - their broccoli does. So I thought they were ok. Maybe they are and it was a fluke. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I read that C&W is safe. I buy their frozen zucchini. I had a weird belly this morning after eating Walmart brand frozen green beans yesterday. They don't say on there that it could contain traces of wheat - their broccoli does. So I thought they were ok. Maybe they are and it was a fluke. 

It could be the veggies or it could be the seasoning you added.  It could be an off day.  You could have food poisoning.    Hard to say.  Best to eat whole foods until you are healed or at least for a few weeks or months.  Hard in the winter, but consider root veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc.  

The zucchini can be cross contaminated (I do not know for sure) but common sense tells me that this veggie is cut up.  A better chance to get cross contaminated (absorbed) on an  uncleaned assembly line.  This is just a theory!  

C & W (California and Washington) was bought out by Birdseye who has expanded their product line to include sauces, etc.  Not sure if they combined processing facilities.  You could call.

pdm1981 Collaborator
15 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

It could be the veggies or it could be the seasoning you added.  It could be an off day.  You could have food poisoning.    Hard to say.  Best to eat whole foods until you are healed or at least for a few weeks or months.  Hard in the winter, but consider root veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc.  

The zucchini can be cross contaminated (I do not know for sure) but common sense tells me that this veggie is cut up.  A better chance to get cross contaminated (absorbed) on an  uncleaned assembly line.  This is just a theory!  

C & W (California and Washington) was bought out by Birdseye who has expanded their product line to include sauces, etc.  Not sure if they combined processing facilities.  You could call.

I used to use Birdseye but for some reason kept having reactions to their rice and other plain veggies. Did some research and found this:

"While our manufacturing facilities follow the accepted good manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items."

cap6 Enthusiast

Regular frozen veggies should all be quite safe.  It's when you buy a mix (rice with peas and a flavor) that you run into a possible problem.  Read the ingredient list.  To be very safe buy a bag of any frozen veggie that has only that one ingredient - peas (or corn or whatever veggie it is) 

• 8 months later...
Tinybunnii Newbie

I have been suspicious of the birdseye vegetables for a few weeks now. I drastically increased my consumption of frozen vegetables and while green giant and roundy's brand doesn't seem to be a problem, I swear it's the birdseye greenbeans that's making me miserable. I feel so much better know it's not just me...Sometimes I think I'm paranoid but having some external confirmation makes me feel less crazy!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
13 minutes ago, Tinybunnii said:

I have been suspicious of the birdseye vegetables for a few weeks now. I drastically increased my consumption of frozen vegetables and while green giant and roundy's brand doesn't seem to be a problem, I swear it's the birdseye greenbeans that's making me miserable. I feel so much better know it's not just me...Sometimes I think I'm paranoid but having some external confirmation makes me feel less crazy!

Earlier this year they started a bunch of sauced steam bag foods, and they contain gluten. The company does not do this on separate equipment or dedicated lines but instead just cleans the lines and does them on batches on rotation same packing equipment......so birdseye is a big no for us now.

• 6 months later...
Cottagenc Newbie

I received this reply from Pictsweet in response to an email questioning wether their products were celiac friendly gluten free....

Per their representative,

"On each package, beneath the ingredient list, is an allergen statement that will let our consumers know if any allergens are present.  However, our facility is not gluten free and we do produce both gluten free products and items containing gluten on the same lines.  Prior to each product run, each line is tested for all allergens (including gluten) and the run will not begin until the testing comes back negative."

squirmingitch Veteran

Thank you for inquiring & posting the answer.

Archived