SaoIsaan

Don't know what results mean

Rate this topic

I live in SE Asia and just had a celiac panel blood test.  The results arrived via e-mail just as I arrived in the U.S., where I will be for a number of months.  My doctor in Asia said I need to see a GI doctor with the results, but getting in as a new patient, especially right at the holidays, is not easy or quick.  Can anyone shed light on these results?  Does this mean likely positive for Celiac?  What should I do while awaiting a dr. appt?

DGP IgA: 114.61

DGP IgG: <2.0

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 10.35

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgG: Negative

thanks!!

Welcome to the board. Can't say for sure without the reference ranges but it looks like your DGP IGA is positive. You do need to keep eating gluten until after you see the GI and get the endoscopy done. If you stop eating it now you would risk a good chance at a false negative with any celiac testing the GI may want to do. You don't have to eat a lot of gluten to keep the antibodies active just a slice of bread or a few crackers will be enough.

Do read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the coping section as it will have a lot of good info for you. If you are having a lot of GI distress cutting out dairy may help a little bit.

3 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Welcome to the board. Can't say for sure without the reference ranges but it looks like your DGP IGA is positive. You do need to keep eating gluten until after you see the GI and get the endoscopy done. If you stop eating it now you would risk a good chance at a false negative with any celiac testing the GI may want to do. You don't have to eat a lot of gluten to keep the antibodies active just a slice of bread or a few crackers will be enough.

Do read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the coping section as it will have a lot of good info for you. If you are having a lot of GI distress cutting out dairy may help a little bit.

Thank you for your reply.  Here are the results with reference ranges:

DGP IgA: 114.61   RU/mL   (0.00-25.00)

DGP IgG: <2.0   RU/mL   (0.00-25.00)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 10.35  RU/mL   (0.00-20.00)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgG: Negative   (Negative)

Hi!  You only need ONE positive on the panel for your doctor to order an endoscopy to obtain six or so tissue samples  from various parts of the stomach and small intestine.  You have a positive!  The endoscopy will determine your celiac disease diagnosis, but keep in mind that the small intestine is vast (size of a tennis court) so it is important that your doctor takes at least six samples!  

I tested like you.  I had a positive DGP IgA and the rest were negative yet my biopsy revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB (moderate to severe damage).  Anemia was my only symptom at the time of my diagnosis.  

Keep consuming gluten daily until all testing is complete.  Find  a GI and explain your plight.   You might get an appointment sooner.  Questions?  We are here to help each other!  

Thanks, cyclinglady,

I have an appt with a GI this coming Friday.  I hope she's knowledgeable about Celiac (is that a given?).  How much gluten do I need to keep eating until more testing?  I had quit eating bread (but not gluten) a couple weeks ago as I thought it was yeast that was making me sick.  I haven't been violently ill since, but still lots of gut problems.  We're supposed to leave this Friday for 4 weeks of travel, so really unsure what kind of time frame we're looking at for testing, or how all of this affects our travel plans.