HappilyGF

Receiving Gluten-Containing Gifts

Rate this topic

I received a heavy gift from a client that I opened before Christmas out of sheer curiosity (shame on me, I know). It is an 18.3 oz box of Gudrun Fine Belgian Chocolates. It is obviously nice, but a quick look at the tag shows they contain gluten. I have worked with this client for about four years, and expect to continue, but have not received food items before or discussed much of my celiac with him. I want to write a thank-you card, but I don't know what to say, since I can't eat them. Do I say, "Thanks for the gift; my family enjoyed them, but I couldn't"? "I love the thought, but wish it were See's?" If he would've offered me the candy at a meeting I would've politely declined and explained, but I didn't get that chance. What do I do after the fact? Thanks. 

He has no way of knowing you wouldn't be able to enjoy his gift.  Just say thank you.  You don't have to like a gift you are given - whether it's food or a hand knitted puce & green sweater!  It's supposed to be the thought that counts.  I know in this case it's more of a business thing than a thoughtful gift....  so common courtesy is even more important.  

As others said a general blanket thank you note will suffice now.

You can broach the subject in the future. An excellent way to subliminally suggest Sees' s brand is the next few face to face meetings offer him/ her a See' s from the box sitting on your desk/ conference table. Mr. X would you like one they are my favorite this subliminally fix this one in a jiffy.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:06 AM, kareng said:

He has no way of knowing you wouldn't be able to enjoy his gift.  Just say thank you.  You don't have to like a gift you are given - whether it's food or a hand knitted puce & green sweater!  It's supposed to be the thought that counts.  I know in this case it's more of a business thing than a thoughtful gift....  so common courtesy is even more important.  

Puce and green sweater, lol!