• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jeepster

How Do Igg And Iga Antibodies Work?

Rate this topic

What is the actual process that takes place to cause the antibodies to attack the intestine, and how do they accomplish this? Are there other antibodies in the body that work similarly on other foods (and cause damage to other body parts)? Are there other blood tests like the IgG and IgA antibody tests that can find other autoimmune system reactions to food?

What is the actual process that takes place to cause the antibodies to attack the intestine, and how do they accomplish this? Are there other antibodies in the body that work similarly on other foods (and cause damage to other body parts)? Are there other blood tests like the IgG and IgA antibody tests that can find other autoimmune system reactions to food?

I'm no expert so I could be wrong on this but I *think* that what happens is this:

The immune system identifies gluten in the body and creates specific antibodies against it. The next time gluten is consumed the immune system recognizes it and begins attacking it. I dont think the intestines are specifically targeted but they are damaged in the process. I think the structure of gliadin is almost identical to that of our own body tissue so the immune system cant differenciate between the two and the result is damage to the tissue. This is why gluten intolerance is an autoimmune disease.

A couple articles that suggest the mechanism of damage in celiac:

celiachealth.org/pdf/no_anim_full_set.pdf (slides 60-80ish or so)

Coeliac Disease: An Update on Facts and Questions Based on the 10th International Symposium on Coeliac Disease (scroll down a bit to the section on the pathogensis of celiac disease)

Immunopathogenesis of Celiac Disease

Future Theraputic Treatments for Celiac Disease

All of these are pretty dense in their chemistry, however, so they are not a quick read unless your a PhD chemist. :-P

Likewise, this is a little heavy if you don't have any medical background but I think most who read it carefully will get the idea. Discount that it is talking in reference to MS. The basics here are true for all autoimmune diseases. Mimicry is an import concept to get a hold of. Claire

FOOD TOXINS, MOLECULAR MIMICRY, LEAKY GUT AND THE MS CONNECTION.

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Artic...on/toohey18.htm