Ennis_TX

Uptons JackFruit BBQ meat alternative

Rate this topic

I found Uptons Jackfruit meat alternative in chili lime and BBQ flavors. Says it is vegan, and free of gluten and soy. See no gluten-free certifications on it though and I know the company also makes stuff out of seitan. Anyone tried this or heard anything on it? I am waiting on a response from the company about the way they handle and package it and if they will guarantee that it is safe for a celiac to consume.

We don't have uptons in Hawaii but do have The Jackfruit Company (by Global Village Fruit, Inc.)  which Ive never had a problem with.  Dont get it often since we grow our own. Tried one other companies too with no problem.

First few packages were fine this last one got me, swollen lymph nodes first sign after tasting, a bit on my finger, Then I ran it in a tester the BBQ one from the date codes listed are not safe. MAR 04 2018  tested positive for gluten.

57 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

First few packages were fine this last one got me, swollen lymph nodes first sign after tasting, a bit on my finger, Then I ran it in a tester the BBQ one from the date codes listed are not safe. MAR 04 2018  tested positive for gluten.

I think some of the test strips  not meant for vinegar based things (I  assume a BBQ sauce has a vinegar) - they do not give a true result.  You might want to check yours?

Edited by kareng

Perhaps, I am sending it to a lab. I tested the Curry Flavor I got that also has vinegar and it came back negative. Retested the BBQ and it came back positive, low positive but positive.  But your right I should hold off mentioning this til after we know for sure.

Just now, Ennis_TX said:

Perhaps, I am sending it to a lab. I tested the Curry Flavor I got that also has vinegar and it came back negative. Retested the BBQ and it came back positive, low positive but positive.  But your right I should hold off mentioning this til after we know for sure.

What did the company say?

Lab results back in is negative, seems I was thrown off by the vinegar and the red coloring, What got me sick that week was something else in my diet I later pinned down. Sorry for the misinformation. I got it checked by watchdog also just to be sure, and it seems it was my mistake. https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/product/uptons-naturals-bar-b-que-jackfruit/568