Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Mike12345

Hand lotions

Rate this topic

I found a few threads on this forum concerning the use of hand lotions with oat flour in them. But I am not sure of how likely someone, with an intolerance to gluten, might be affected if they have never had any issues with dermatitis herpetiformis. Any comments? I see Aveno has a few lotions I might want to try. Finding lotions at a reasonable price that don't have fragrances or parabens or benzoic acid and any of the items that I am hearing bad things about, is not easy. Been using the typical store bought lotions but I simply want to change to something less likely to cause problems. Any suggestions or links to good articles?

Not sure if this will be more confusing than helpful, but thought I'd add my two cents.

Prior to my diagnosis I tried Aveeno moisturizer and it seemed to make my dermatitis worse. I am aware that gluten is not supposed to cause a reaction in this manner, but I am wary of this lotion because of this reaction - it seemed to match the locations I applied it to. I have no idea if it was the oats (cannot tolerate them) or some other ingredient. The reaction as I recall was quite strong, strong enough for me to pitch it.

At the time I was not gluten-free in any way, so it's hard to imagine that the extra trace ingested oat from the moisturizer being on my hands/mouth area would have made a significant difference. It is however, possible that the bad reaction was just coincidental as my symptoms were very erratic at this time.

At any rate, I avoid such products. There are lots of inexpensive, good quality moisturizers that do not contain oats or gluten.

7 hours ago, apprehensiveengineer said:

Not sure if this will be more confusing than helpful, but thought I'd add my two cents.

Prior to my diagnosis I tried Aveeno moisturizer and it seemed to make my dermatitis worse. I am aware that gluten is not supposed to cause a reaction in this manner, but I am wary of this lotion because of this reaction - it seemed to match the locations I applied it to. I have no idea if it was the oats (cannot tolerate them) or some other ingredient. The reaction as I recall was quite strong, strong enough for me to pitch it.

At the time I was not gluten-free in any way, so it's hard to imagine that the extra trace ingested oat from the moisturizer being on my hands/mouth area would have made a significant difference. It is however, possible that the bad reaction was just coincidental as my symptoms were very erratic at this time.

At any rate, I avoid such products. There are lots of inexpensive, good quality moisturizers that do not contain oats or gluten.

Ditto this pretty much word for word.

Lots of people use just plain coconut oil or olive oil as a moisturizer. Feels too much like oil to me. I use Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair - it's unscented.