Fbmb

When does the fatigue subside?

Rate this topic

I think that my only real symptom at this point is fatigue. I'm really tired. I've been functioning at this level of fatigue for a long time - and maybe it's less the celiac and more that I have two kids under 4 and we just got a new puppy and I'm the director of a nonprofit....

but, in case it is my celiac, how long til I feel less sleepy? I'm almost 2 months from my diagnosis. Before I was diagnosed I had a full blood panel done and all of my numbers were completely normal. The only thing that wasn't was my vitamin D, which was just barely low. I take vitamin D everyday now. I'm not anemic. I figure that I'm just tired from healing. But I don't know. Like I said, maybe it's just my life.

17 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I think that my only real symptom at this point is fatigue. I'm really tired. I've been functioning at this level of fatigue for a long time - and maybe it's less the celiac and more that I have two kids under 4 and we just got a new puppy and I'm the director of a nonprofit....

but, in case it is my celiac, how long til I feel less sleepy? I'm almost 2 months from my diagnosis. Before I was diagnosed I had a full blood panel done and all of my numbers were completely normal. The only thing that wasn't was my vitamin D, which was just barely low. I take vitamin D everyday now. I'm not anemic. I figure that I'm just tired from healing. But I don't know. Like I said, maybe it's just my life.

Your life makes me exhausted just thinking about it!  Most moms of small kids and a full time job are tired all the time.  Maybe you could send hem to grandmas for a weekend and you do nothing?  Or leave them with dad and go to a hotel for the weekend.  Amazing what a couple of long nights of sleep can do

This generally depends person to person and the cause is a combination of issues. The causes of the fatigue is normally a mix of your immune system working attacking the gluten, your body trying to repair itself, and the food/nutrient absorption issues from the damaged intestines. You should start feeling better in steps, as your immune system stops going crazy, your intestines heal, and you can help out with the deficiency issues by finding what your missing and trying to supplement it. 

In your case it could also be all the work and the kids, lol. I know my mother works full time as a pre-k teacher so I have seen how it can wear someone out.  If you can see about getting a baby sitter, and taking a night off to treat yourself. Perhaps stay at a hotel, and get yourself a massage. I can honestly say a massage works wonders for making your body feel better, I have friend who is a great massage therapist. Moms deserve days off more so then most people.

Your life just sounds crazy right now!  I love the idea of a weekend away.  I am planning for one myself.  I am camping and invited other Moms to join me.  However, it is every man for himself (no cooking for anyone but me, etc.)  We plan on playing games, walking, reading, sleeping or doing nothing!   I chose camping because I have an RV and I live in sunny California where it is still possible in winter.

When I was first diagnosed, I had to step away from many of volunteer activities.  I had to choose what is most important to me.  I gave up a position on the city Bicycling Committe, stepped down from Cookie/Fall Product (Girl Scouts) but still am troop treasurer, and I  hide from my friends in PTA, and learned to say NO!

I did get suckered into a Board position (treasurer) with the band boosters and am uniform Mom now, but only after I recovered.  Plus, I was and still am a band geek!  

I think you first need some much needed rest and the figure out what is most important to you and let some things go for now.  You can do much more when your kids (and that puppy) are not so needy.  

Oh, I was very active in MOMS Club, an international group.  This allowed us to social and get support from members (food drops, babysitting, chilling and hanging out, etc.). I am still friends with these fantastic ladies even though our kids are in high school.  Loved the monthly MOMS night out!!!!

I had to cut back hours in 2016 due to my cc in march and took time off for my gluten challenge.

This summer I would work for 4 hours M-F and  I would come home feed my kids lunch then be so fatigued from trying to work (with many kids(educator), active outside, summer heat to boot for four hours) I napped 2-3 hours daily for 6-9 months. I could not physically stay awake. I am not normally a napper, as my mom will contest since being 2. If I'm sleeping more than usual I'm sick or healing. I use to work full time.

My kids are now (adolescents) older than yours. I napped , I had to. once I met basic needs my mind allowed me to turn off. I made lunch, prep the snacks etc for their food cabinet etc, stocked drinks, intended to spend time with them. I would be out in 15 minutes knowing my kids were ok. My kids  kids tv, games, or talking in same room etc didn't phase me out like a light. I'd even sleep in the sitting up position on couch. I used to think don't go to the bed otherwise you'll sleep. I would even fall asleep in the chair at my kitchen table. I would apologize and my son would sincerely say sympathetically it's ok mom youre sick. It's ok you needed to sleep, we were fine. They did not wake me except to tell me to lay down. As I improve they do not hesitate to ask for drinks or food. They know when mom's back. My energy level is still not my norm. I still remain reduced work hours. I healed then did it all again for the gluten challenge. I think it's another 3-6 months away until I am more myself. It's frustrating. My kids are old enough to recognize this they know without me even saying. 

You can't keep this pace with little ones. I'm with the others you either need to get some help for a few months or dial down the schedule. If no relative is near, a local teen aka mothers helper? One who can stay in your home while you sleep for a few hours but attend to little ones needs, keep them occupied. My kids as toddlers often would not be away from me so giving them to someone else was not realistic.  They would however play in house with teen if l was home but indisposed, cleaned, gardened, etc. 

Ennis put it perfectly the body is busy doing its work it will over ride you. Trust me I tried and it wins. Just trust, respect, and honor the body in the healing process.

Good luck.

You have a gluten free household right? Expanding upon Awol's idea of a teen..... if that teen could come in right about the time the kids get home or you get home & cook simple dinners....if you house is gluten free, they can't screw it up with gluten. Stews, soups, veggies, salads, baked chicken, set the table. They could keep an eye on the kids & puppy while you get an after work nap. On the weekends maybe they could come in & do some house cleaning or laundry.

You do have a lot of stressers going on.  Young kids & a puppy (may as well have a third kid) and a job is enough to make anyone tired!  Add to that the fact that it does take time to heal.  Your body is pulling as it heals and that alone will make you more tired.    If your vit levels are ok, especially iron and b12 then, then work and kids are doing it!