Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Arasmas

Shared microwaves?

Rate this topic

I begin student teaching at the end of January.  Full days at an elementary school plus evening classes is going to make for some long days where I am out of the house (my eating safe zone) for 10-12 hours.  I normally just don't eat much away from home, but I'm going to need food, and I don't think I can subsist on fruit and granola bars all day.  Is it safe to use the shared microwave in the teachers lounge?  The lounge itself is generally kept very clean but I'm sure the microwave is frequently used to heat gluten-containing foods.  If I cover my food with a paper towel or keep the lid on a pyrex container, is using the microwave safe?  Any extra precautions I should take to avoid getting sick?  Bringing my own microwave to my student teaching placements seems like it would be incredibly awkward. 

It should be fine covered (place a paper towel down too before setting your dish down).  But it can take time to get to the microwave in the teacher's lounge.  Invest in a thermos.  That is what we use.  Add boiling water to preheat it (then dump it).   My hubby and kid love a hot lunch!  

The thermo is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that.  Even pre-gluten-free, I've always sucked at lunch.  I'm not big on cold foods (sandwiches, wraps, salads...eh).  I'll try the thermos idea.

Thermos or a little water/instant kettle works amazing with reheating stuff, >.> I made instant soups with stocks and freeze dried veggies in those when helping at my dads shop sometimes. If you must use the microwave few tips, Use a paper towel to open the handle and press the buttons, lay one down inside it, and cover your food with it......if the microwave looks like a food crime scene inside......just walk away and do not bother.