kaygato

Salicylates

Rate this topic

I've had a lot of cognitive disorganization since I was a kid and was suspecting maybe additives and salicylates were to blame. With salicylates, is there a test to tell if there's a problem? My holistic doctor I go to ran some tests, and basically he said after I asked him that becaused my ammonia wasn't high I didn't have salicylate intolerance. But I saw on the salicylate sensitivity forum that there really wasn't a blood test to tell if they were a problem. Which is right? 

I'm going to do an elimination diet anyway, but was just curious what the case is.

there is no accurate diagnostic blood test for salicylate sensitivity. there is a test for overdoses from medication
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/salicylates/tab/test/

i believe its possible to be diagnosed by being given increased amounts of salicylates while being monitored for a reaction under medical supervision but it seems quite extreme.

i have thought about trying the elimination diet as i have really bad allergy symptoms which no doctor can explain or treat. the diet seems quite restrictive though, especially if you are already gluten free so i probably wouldn't try it unless advised by medical doctor.