clutchlee

New to site...having suspicious symptoms..HELP!

Rate this topic

Have had long standing fatigue and occasional headaches, and insomnia.  More recently, after starting to digest meals, I have a burning sensation of mouth, lips, and throat.  Blurry vision comes along as the burning mouth occurs.  Some abdominal gas and soft stools.  Feel pretty "lousy" all day as this is happening.  Primary docs don't have a clue.  Routine labs normal.

Anyone...can you share what you think, make recommendations for testing, have similar experiences?

Thanks so much for anything.....I'm getting desperate.

clutchlee

Hi clutchlee,

The burning sensation could be GERD (acid reflux) or esonopilic esophagitis, or maybe gastritis.  All of those can be related to celiac disease symptoms also.  Fatigue is a common problem with celiac as it impairs the gut's ability to absorb nutrients

You can ask for a celiac blood test to be done.  You should keep eating at least some gluten every day until all the testing is done though.  The usual testing is blood tests for immune system antibodies to gliaden a protein in wheat.  Then an endoscopy to check for celiac type damage to the villi lining of the small intestine.  They should take 4 to 6 biopsy samples for review.

There are some getting started tips in the Newbie 101 thread in the Coping With subsection.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I will just add a link to the University of Chicago's celiac website which is, in my opinion, one of the better sites for explaining all things celiac:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

I hope you find relief soon!  

5 hours ago, Lochella said:

I was told my levels were high at 250, is that super high??

Lo

Hi lo and welcome?

You may be better off starting a new topic and including any further info you have. For example, a test result will usually come with range info, this shows what the normal range is and helps you work out what your score means. It should also say which marker is being tested...