Sara789

Penzeys Spices: Herbs, Spices, Spice Blends, and Extracts (Dec 2016)

Rate this topic

I emailed Penzeys Spices about gluten and possible cross-contamination (cc). Here's what I sent and their response:

Email request sent 12/19/16 from me:

Hello Penzeys,

Are your herbs, spices, spice blends, and extracts processed in a plant that also processes gluten (wheat, rye, or barley)? Are there any additives that aren't listed on your ingredients label?

I've recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and cannot ingest any gluten, even from cross-contamination. Any amount of gluten will make me seriously sick. 

I love Penzeys and am trying to find a safe source.

Thank you,
Sara

Email response sent 12/21/16 from Penzeys Spices Customer Service:

Hi Sara,

All of our products, including spices, herbs, salts and all ingredients used in our seasoning blends, are naturally gluten free, however we are not           certified gluten free.
We do not add gluten (or any items containing gluten) to any of our products, and will not package any items if they are found to contain gluten.       Everything is all natural and does not contain any additives or preservatives.  All ingredients are listed in the descriptions and on the label. Currently the only thing we have that contains gluten is our Aleppo Pepper.

Penzeys Spices conducts routine spot testing for gluten on all of our products and follow FDA guidelines.  Our machines are cleaned and tested
in between jobs.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Sue

4 hours ago, kareng said:

No.  it's US.  They have spice stores and mail order

Just shows you what happens when you live in the sticks I guess.  Thanks Karen! :)

We shop at Penzeys all the time.  This is the first time I have heard this and actually have Aleppo Pepper.  It is not labeled as having Gluten or Gluten containing products - Aleppo Pepper, salt, sunflower oil.

I have sent an email to them to ask about this.