Jmg

Finally, an explanation for gluten cravings!

Rate this topic

Meet Gluten Man!

glutenman.jpg

It turns out cravings are caused by mini doughnuts in the cranium, and I think the spaghetti in my leg may be contributing to the sciatic pain. I have no opinion on wtf the broken cookie is up to however unless it's a metaphor for a crumby sex life :(

Gluten man comes from Montana State   http://www.montana.edu/mountainsandminds/2012/fall/celiac.php and there's a good list of potential symptoms alongside. I counted 24 which I think I've experienced at any one time or another, so the challenge is out to the forum to beat my score :P

I bookmarked this!  I love it and will use it to list symptoms to forum newcomers.    Funny, because Montana is home to Red Wheat.  I used to buy a Montana brand of wheat porridge (cream of wheat) back in the day.  

http://www.montanamilling.com/index.php?page=hard-red-winter-wheat

I counted about 30!  (I lumped the first few skin issues together).  But here is the deal, only three permanently remain: Hasimotos's Thyroiditis (stable, but will never be cured), diabetes (thanks, Dad), and osteoporosis (stable).  The others will pop back up if I am exposed to gluten.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Actually this is a competition I'm happy to lose :P

It's a great idea though, especially in the visual illustrating how far beyond the 'traditional' celiac symptoms gluten problems can strike. I don't think the wider public have any idea, certainly I never thought that things like my backache were anything but mechanical in origin for example. I like the way they've structured the symptoms based on the systems that are affected too.  

I never made it as far North as Montana when I was over there. Loved the expanse of those mid western states though. Maybe this site is Montana making up for all that wheat :)

Well, I've definitely experienced the broken cookie...

The mini donuts seem to have drained away slowly though.

Thanks for the link JMG, interesting list of symptoms!