This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee

Amanda Brown

Amanda Brown Newbie

I got diagnosed with celiac disease about a month ago and I am still figuring out what I can and cannot have. 

Are all coffee k cups gluten free? If not all of them are gluten free then which ones are gluten free? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I think all of the plain coffee ones should would be gluten-free.  The ingredients on mine are just " coffee" .  I think the most likely to have gluten might be a tea one - sometimes fancy teas have " malted barley".

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Certain Flavored ones do have gluten in them, most should be fine if just plain coffee from a good brand. Note if you have ever run a gluten containing blend through your machine you might want to toss it. I recall messing up one of my coffee makers doing that mistake years ago. Seems no matter how much I tried I could not get the stuff out of the basket lines and kept making contaminated pots. Unsure about a K-Cup machine to be honest though. As to brands I have been just sticking with FreshRoastedCoffee for my grounds. I found a few low acid blends from them that I rotate on, and keep trying different ones from them never having any issues.

kareng Grand Master
48 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Certain Flavored ones do have gluten in them, most should be fine if just plain coffee from a good brand. Note if you have ever run a gluten containing blend through your machine you might want to toss it. I recall messing up one of my coffee makers doing that mistake years ago. Seems no matter how much I tried I could not get the stuff out of the basket lines and kept making contaminated pots. Unsure about a K-Cup machine to be honest though. As to brands I have been just sticking with FreshRoastedCoffee for my grounds. I found a few low acid blends from them that I rotate on, and keep trying different ones from them never having any issues.

Could you please tell us which flavored k cups you know to have gluten?  I have read ingredients on many and even checked with manufacturers and not found any k cups or even flavored ground coffee , with gluten.  I think there may be an instant flavored coffee with gluten...... but it said on the ingredient list.  So really, Just read ingredients and don't buy if you don't see the ingredient list.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, kareng said:

Could you please tell us which flavored k cups you know to have gluten?  I have read ingredients on many and even checked with manufacturers and not found any k cups or even flavored ground coffee , with gluten.  I think there may be an instant flavored coffee with gluten...... but it said on the ingredient list.  So really, Just read ingredients and don't buy if you don't see the ingredient list.

Few ones I saw at whole foods, and central market down here in Texas. They have a few that use "Malted Barley" in the mulled and desert blends, (The sugar cookie and cinnamon bun sounded great) they featured over the holidays. I do not recall the brand, it was one that I had not seen before in a green box and white box, I think it was from a local company.

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Few ones I saw at whole foods, and central market down here in Texas. They have a few that use "Malted Barley" in the mulled and desert blends, (The sugar cookie and cinnamon bun sounded great) they featured over the holidays. I do not recall the brand, it was one that I had not seen before in a green box and white box, I think it was from a local company.

2 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

It sounds like you are saying that you shouldn't fear k cups as long as you read the ingredients?

gilligan Enthusiast

I've never run into a coffee with gluten, flavored or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

I have not found a coffee to have gluten in it.  Other  ingredients yes such as flavoring that could bother your tummy just because, but not gluten.  That said, always read the ingredient list. 

Archived