Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Since casein in dairy has similar protein as gluten which your body can react to, do you eat milk, butter, heavy or half and half cream, yogurt, kefir or cheese? 

Do you think one can only heal from celiac disease if these foods are avoided? Although I no longer eat gluten due to celiac disease, I still eat milk and butter in recipes, yogurt, kefr, and cheese.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sella said:

Since casein in dairy has similar protein as gluten which your body can react to, do you eat milk, butter, heavy or half and half cream, yogurt, kefir or cheese? 

Do you think one can only heal from celiac disease if these foods are avoided? Although I no longer eat gluten due to celiac disease, I still eat milk and butter in recipes, yogurt, kefr, and cheese.

 

Not sure why you would think that casein is similiar to gluten protein?  I have seen no actual scientific evidence that a Celiac gets an antibody reaction to casein.  I eat diary products with no issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not have lactose (intolerant) , or whey (allergic) , but I do enjoy a few vegan friendly cheeses that use casein protein with no issues at all. Will admit it is very odd that it does not bother me, but as a slow break down protein it is great for filling full, and helping with muscle building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"Gluten and casein have a similar molecular structure and the by-products of their metabolism form substances known as gluteomorphin and casomorphin respectively.   We discuss this in our book The Gluten Effect.These “morphins” refer to a morphine-like chemical, though it is much milder than morphine itself.  The substances attach to opiate receptors in the brain and can result in diminished alertness, concentration and memory. They also give a feeling of calm and reduced tension explaining why often people crave the very foods they should most avoid.

So how should you proceed?  If you’re newly off gluten I would consider a several month trial of being dairy-free as well.  If you’ve been off gluten for longer than a year, try removing dairy for about 6 weeks and see if you notice an improvement.

Also you can get a lab test to measure if you’re immune system is reacting to dairy.  Casein antibodies and casomorphins can all be measured."

I just read this so I think I will get the casein antibodies and casomorphins tests done with a lactose tolerance test.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sella said:

 

"Gluten and casein have a similar molecular structure and the by-products of their metabolism form substances known as gluteomorphin and casomorphin respectively.   We discuss this in our book The Gluten Effect.These “morphins” refer to a morphine-like chemical, though it is much milder than morphine itself.  The substances attach to opiate receptors in the brain and can result in diminished alertness, concentration and memory. They also give a feeling of calm and reduced tension explaining why often people crave the very foods they should most avoid.

So how should you proceed?  If you’re newly off gluten I would consider a several month trial of being dairy-free as well.  If you’ve been off gluten for longer than a year, try removing dairy for about 6 weeks and see if you notice an improvement.

Also you can get a lab test to measure if you’re immune system is reacting to dairy.  Casein antibodies and casomorphins can all be measured."

I just read this so I think I will get the casein antibodies and casomorphins tests done with a lactose tolerance test.

 

Are you saying you wrote a book with no scientific proof?  That isn't " real" science.   I think those " lab tests" might just be a waste of money.  Except for a lactose intolerances test.

 

Many people , when first diagnosed with Celiac, have a hard time digesting the lactose in milk. That is because the part of the small intestines that Celiac damages is the part that helps you digest lactose.  Many people can get that ability back when healed.  But some adult humans, Celiac or not, are just unable to digest lactose.

 

"There is not yet reliable data about cross-reactivity. As for the alleged possibility that many gluten-free foods or drinks (such as coffee, milk, orange juice, etc.) would trigger symptoms in celiac individuals due to hidden antigens mimicking gluten or cross-reacting with anti-gluten antibodies, it must be clearly stated that this is all false information, devoid of any scientific basis, ..."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/whats-with-all-the-talk-about-certain-types-of-food-causing-cross-reactivity/

 

Edited by kareng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid all dairy.  It is certainly possible to develop an immune response to any protein, including casein.  Usually though people new to the gluten-free diet are advised to avoid dairy because of the lactose intolerance that can happen in celiac disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GFinDC said:

I avoid all dairy.  It is certainly possible to develop an immune response to any protein, including casein.  Usually though people new to the gluten-free diet are advised to avoid dairy because of the lactose intolerance that can happen in celiac disease.

Just curious.  I am sure you said before, but why are you avoiding dairy?  Not celiac related, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A doctor told me that the protein structure in casein is similar to gluten. I also remembered reading a study or two about it before he told me that. I just want to know if it may damage my gut like gluten. I assume lactose intolerance doesn't damage your gut like gluten, but I don't know about casein?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sella, 

Maybe you have something else going on.  Can you get your celiac antibodies re-checked or another endoscopy?  It might help rule out that celiac disease is causing your symptoms for sure.  Then you can look at other things.  

In any case, dairy is safe for all celiacs who have basically healed.  There are some exceptions.  Some folks who are newly diagnosed or recovering from a glutening may have a temporary lactose intolerance.  The enzymes to help digest lactose are released from the tips of villi.  If your villi is damage, you can not release the enzymes which leads to intestinal pain.  If a celiac still has a lactose intolerance after healing, they may be genetically lactose intolerant.    A big chunk of the world population is lactose intolerance.  They do not have celiac disease.  

Some folks are allergic to milk proteins (casein).  They get gastrointestinal issues, body aches, rashes, hives, swelling and even anaphylactic death.  Most cases are in very small children.  Many kids outgrow milk allergies, but not all.  

Some celiacs have many issues besides gluten.  They can be allergic to milk proteins (casein).  An allergist can help you determine if you have any milk allergies.  A milk allergy can damage your gut.  It is not related to having celiac disease.  It is a separate issue. 

There are many things that can damage villi besides celiac disease:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

I want to assure you that I have dairy every  single day.  No problems.  I do become lactose intolerant if my celiac disease activates, but that is just temporary for me.  

Even when those celiacs who are still sick and doctors suspect trace contamination or Refractory celiac disease, expert doctors in celiac say most dairy products are safe (least processed).  Here is the super safe celiac gluten-free diet and you can see that milk (casein) is allowed.  You can find the original report on PUB MED but this reads better:

I am craving some ice cream now! ?

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Just curious.  I am sure you said before, but why are you avoiding dairy?  Not celiac related, right?  

I ate dairy with no problem for decades CL.  It wasn't until I developed celiac disease that I started having problems with dairy.  So, yeah it is somehow related. I think it is just an additional food intolerance like any others that people can develop when they get celiac disease.

Dairy causes me pain and bleeding.  Not just the typical lactose intolerance symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sella,

I've just started the healing phase and can't handle cow dairy except for some butter (which has little to no casein or lactose in it). I can't eat cow milk, cheese, yogurt. I don't know if my issues with cow dairy products are due to lactose or casein (or both) because I'm not having any typical reactions to isolate the issue.

I'm able to handle goat cheese and some goat milk yogurt. I can't have too much of the yogurt because I currently have a problem with acidic foods and eat a dab of yogurt with fruit to get some protein. 

Hopefully I'll be able to eat my beloved cow cheese and regular yogurt at some point.

I got some great advice from Fbmb that if a food is gluten-free and doesn't bother you, then don't cut it out. I've had to cut out sooo much that's gluten-free due to intolerance that it's nice to have a few more choices. I'm starting to feel better, so I don't think it's effecting my healing eating a little butter or goat milk products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Discussions

    Thanks.  I think these were not the freshest tortillas.  Layering instead of rolling tastes the same but isn’t as “ fun” as rolled.  
    It is ugly truth that taking vitamins/minerals with RDA and AI can leads to major side effect. Biotin: it comes in food and supplement. It is highly suggested not to take it doses more than 30 µg. Its biggest sources is almond,cauliflower ...
    This is great advice, my mother and grand mother (both Hispanic) always would get the freshest ones and dip in the sauce before rolling. When reheating it varied with tortillas on freshness (and how much of a hurry) but they either heated...
×
×
  • Create New...