This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Misleading Iron test results and Hidden Anemia

Aspirant

Aspirant Apprentice

Hello, I have received Cyrex test results and I have gluten allergies according to them. Tested June 2015.

I have become Gluten free from Dec 2016. My Iron studies are always normal. Here are they.

as on 11/28/2016

Iron Bind Cap TIBC     352       ug/dL

UIBC                              253         ug/dL

Iron, Serum                   89           ug/dL

Iron Saturation.            26         %

Ferritin                          331            ng/mL

FSH                                    0.2         mIU/ml

LH                                        .2         mIU/ml

Testosterone                    150                       ng/dL

I have low body temprature  I tested when I wake up in the morning. 97.4 Fahrenheit 

When I go to any of my doctor and discuss about Giveing me Iron IV they disagree saying that everything is normal.

Celiac panel done by GI is negative. I dont remember whether I was on gluten diet or off of it.

I have already suffered from H Pylori Gastritis for long and then also my Iron studies were good. Ferritin was 55 when Gastritis was active. Normal HB of 14.

I am suffereing from Depression, Hypothyroidism, Obesity, Hairloss, Fatigue, Low stomach acid, Autoimmune disorder, Osteipenia etc. 

How to convince a doctor to give me Iron IV.? I have difficulty absorbing iron from food i Eat.

Which specialty doctor I should show who can deal with wheat allergy and Iron IV.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. I am suffering. Please help.

Thanks,

Aspirant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am no doctor, but your iron and HB seem great!  Why do you want an iron IV?  Did you know that too much iron can cause serious illness?   No medical doctor is going to give you iron if your lab results  are normal.  

I was iron deficient.  My ferritin was a two.  It is a 55 now and I feel great.  

I have low body temps too.  That is part of being hypothyroid.  No need to worry.  

You can try an allergist to test you for a wheat allergy or find a new GI and re-take the celiac antibodies blood test, BUT you would have to go back in gluten for 8 to 12 weeks.  Those Cyrex tests really are not recognized by the medical community.  That is just the way it is.  

Aspirant Apprentice
55 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I am no doctor, but your iron and HB is great!  Why do you want an iron IV?  Did you know that too much iron can cause serious illness?   No medical doctor is going to give you iron.  

I was iron deficient.  My ferritin was a two.  It is a 55 now and I feel great.  

I have low body temps too.  That is part of being hypothyroid.  No need to worry.  

You can try an allergist to test you for a wheat allergy or find a new GI and re-take the celiac antibodies blood test, BUT you would have to go back in gluten for 8 to 12 weeks.  Those Cyrex tests really are not recognized by the medical community.  That is just the way it is.  

Thanks !!! I want to boost my hormones specially Testosterone, LH ,FSH. I have received the Iron IV in the past but overseas.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
17 minutes ago, Aspirant said:

Thanks !!! I want to boost my hormones specially Testosterone, LH ,FSH. I have received the Iron IV in the past but overseas.

You may want to ask your doctor for a referral to an endocrinologist. They can help you with hormone issues.

knitty kitty Grand Master

When we switch to a gluten free diet, we may not be getting enough B vitamins.  Many gluten free products are not enriched nor fortified like the wheat based products we used to eat.  The B vitamins are needed every day.  They help give the body energy and are building blocks of many necessary molecules that help our bodies heal and function normally, including making testosterone.  

Open Original Shared Link

If we aren't digesting or absorbing well,  we can become deficient quickly because the B vitamins are water soluble and may be lost easily. You might want to ask your doctor or nutritionist about adding a B Complex vitamin to your diet.  

ironictruth Proficient

What were the reference ranges on the Iron binding capacity and the Ferritin? 

Are you already taking iron? 

Aspirant Apprentice
On 1/17/2017 at 5:49 AM, ironictruth said:

What were the reference ranges on the Iron binding capacity and the Ferritin? 

Are you already taking iron? 

Yes I was already taking iron during the tests.

Here are the ranges with the results.

Iron Bind Cap TIBC     352       ug/dL                              250 - 450

UIBC                              253         ug/dL                       111 - 343

Iron, Serum                   89           ug/dL                       38  - 169

Iron Saturation.            26         %                                 15 - 55

Ferritin                          331            ng/mL                      30-400

FSH                                    0.2         mIU/ml                      1.7   - 8.6

LH                                        .2         mIU/ml                      1.5   - 12.4

Testosterone                    150                       ng/dL         348 - 1197

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aspirant Apprentice

Now My situation is how to Satisfy my Hematologist to conduct the bone marrow biopsy / aspiration to find out anemia. Because blood test look normal and I am still feeling fatigued, low etc.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
56 minutes ago, Aspirant said:

Now My situation is how to Satisfy my Hematologist to conduct the bone marrow biopsy / aspiration to find out anemia. Because blood test look normal and I am still feeling fatigued, low etc.

Anemia is not the only reason for fatigue. If you have only been gluten free for a month or so then your body is still healing.  Your test resuls as far as iron goes look great. Have you had your B12 and other vitamin levels checked? That would be a good idea.  Keep in mind that for many rest is a good thing when your body is healing and trying to rebuild itself so a bit of fatigue is your bodies way of getting you to rest. Do check with your doctor about a referral to a doctor that deals with hormones as those levels are low but they also may normalize on their own gluten free. I do hope you are feeling better soon.

Archived