This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fiber Powder in Baked Goods

NZions

NZions Rookie

My son (6) has been diagnosed with celiac disease when he was three. Recently, our gastro suggested adding fiber to his diet, as he still vomits every 2-3 days and this would help his system. We've been adding a fiber powder to applesauce, which he has every morning and evening. Understandably, he's not very happy eating it.

Does anyone have any recipes for gluten-free cookies or cakes that we can add fiber powder to, that won't weigh it down or give it a bad taste? (Something a 6 year old would eat.)

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Look for recipes with flax?  What about a smoothie?  gluten-free oats?  

NZions Rookie

Thanks for the quick response.

We were told to give him a specific fiber, just looking for a good way to mix it into a recipe.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have a recipe for a paleo cake that uses coconut flour, almond meal and flax seed, quite high in fiber. Using Nutiva coconut flour in different foods ups the fiber content. As for cooking with a actual fiber powderlike pylius husk....DONT it gels up and becomes quite nasty in baked foods, I suggest using it in puddings, and ice creams if you insist. Hmm I will give you a few recipes. I normally maintain a 50-90g of fiber a day myself to keep stuff moving, GERBs Allergen friendly foods sells whole shell pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, and ground flax which are great for upping your fiber. I have a few other recipes that use nut based flours which would be great, working on a muffin one now for blue berry muffins.

Paleo Cinnamon Cake

1/4 cup (33g) Ground Flax Seed + 1/4 cup water
1 ripe banana (120g)
1/4 cup Maple syrup (65g)
1/4 cup coconut oil (65g)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup almond flour (140g)
1/3 cup coconut flour (40g)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp stevia

Topping
2tbsp(32g) coconut oil
2tbsp(32g) Maple syrup
1tbsp(15g) cinnamon

1. Preheat Oven to 350F
2. Combine Flax and water stir and let sit 2-5 min(Makes Flax Egg)
3. Mash and heat the banana and coconut oil together for 30sec
4. Mix in maple, vanilla, Flax Egg, and stir until smooth
5. In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients together then combine bowls and mix well
6. Grease a 8" Pie pan with coconut oil and press the mix into the pan it will have to be spread with a spatula or your hand
7. Mix up topping and pour over the top spreading it slightly making sure it does not fall over the edges
8. Bake for 30mins or until topping is slightly crispy (it will firm up a tad more once cool)

14441053_1784157978499764_77114476237752

NZions Rookie

Thanks! This is helpful advice, and looks like a great recipe. I'll speak to the gastro and ask if he truly must have this fiber, or can we just get more fiber into his diet.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Oh and this one is wonderful, I love how if you under cook it the insides stay gooy like a fresh baked cookie taken out too early. Vegan so it would not make you sick eating it raw ish and great for kids, upping the banana to 120g or a whole one will make it more moist.

Cinnamon Roll Cookie Cake

Cinnamon Swirl Paste
140g of dates soaked in 1/2 cup almond/cashew milk over night
Blend this in with 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla in a food processor until smooth

Cake

2 cans beans drained and rinsed (Garbanzo for more of a crumb or white for more of a gooy texture)
100g of instant gluten-free oats
2 tbsp cinnamon
160g sugar of choice (I used xylitol but white or coconut sugar will work)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
45g of coconut oil
60g mashed banana
3tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat Oven to 350F
2. In a Food Processor blend all cake ingredients until smooth until smooth (Might have to add a few tbsp of milk of choice) and pour into a 10" Spring form pan
3. Load the Swirl Paste into a icing tube or use a baggy with the corner cut off and stick it into the cake batter almost to the bottom and apply your swirl
4. Bake for 32-38 mins then let set 10 mins.

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

Oh yeah- dates and raisens - lots of fiber

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced
On 1/16/2017 at 8:07 PM, kareng said:

Oh yeah- dates and raisens - lots of fiber

(raisins = blech, lolz)  would psyllium fiber be good?  the  america's test kitchen 'how can it be gluten free' cookbook has some baked good recipes that have psyllium in them - pizza crust comes to mind :)  what 6 y.o. doesn't like pizza ;) 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Psyllium can be tricky, I find it gels, and creates a goo when cooked, you will notice it around the outside of the baked goods and it will pull part with it. Might gross the kid out, I know it does to me and is why I only use it in homemade ice creams and cheese sauces. I do have a high fiber vegan cheese dip recipe and a vegan gluten-free pizza crust recipe if your also interested.

Pizza Crust /Pizza Recipe
1 medium head cauliflower (1lb)
2 tbsp coconut oil divided
1 egg (Flax Egg will work here 1tbsp ground flax +2 1/2 water let sit 5min)
dash of salt
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
pinch of red pepper
1 cup fine shredded(4oz) vegan cheese (Lisanatti Mozzarella Almond Cheese is what I used)
2 tbsp almond meal
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

1.Preheat oven to 450, with a cooking sheet or pizza stone in it.
2.prep parchment paper rub 1 Tbsp coconut oil all over it
3.Cut the cauliflower into florets, removing the core.
4.In batches in a food processor with a grating blade, grate the cauliflower into a rice like texture. (This can also be done with a hand grater.)
5. Put 1 inch of water in a sauce pan and put the grated cauliflower in it and bring to a boil on high then turn to low and cover stirring occasionally for 10-15mins The cauliflower will be soft when done, drain into a clean towel or cheese cloth and press ALL THE WATER out when cool enough (this makes sure it is firm and not crumbly when done)
6.In a large bowl beat the egg well.
7.Add the cauliflower rice, 1tbsp coconut oil, salt, pepper, basil, nutritional yeast, almond meal, oregano, red pepper, and vegan cheese. Mix well.
8.Shape mixture in a large circle on the parchment paper, and place the paper with the dough on the sheet/stone.
9.Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Add your toppings and cook another 5-7mins then remove parchment with pizza from sheet and let cool 5-10mins so it firms up.

Topped with homemade pizza sauce, Hemp cheese, and BBQ Jackfruit for a Vegan Gluten Free Pizza

15747416_1830010983914463_45285438474643

NZions Rookie

Thanks so much.

Spoke to the gastro today, she told us that we need to keep with the powder, as my son needs to get that specific amount. She added that any additional fiber he gets from baked goods, etc. is great, but we need to keep with the powder.

She did say that it might dissolve, and taste better, in hot cocoa. Will try it...

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Might try it in a fudge recipe? I just recently have semi luck using it for making cheese this morning, odd texture but taste like a cheese, seems to stay really gooy with a bit of a slime -_- Heating Psylliumm husk seems to always make a slime, got to admit it taste great with orange, chocolate, or cheese flavor but this texture is awful to try to make palatable. Oddly I loved making the orange one with a bit of cinnamon >.< Mixing it with a nut butter might be a great idea, just DO not heat it up. I know Resses Peanut butter is equal parts powdered peanut sugar and peanut butter with a bit of salt and vanilla. Guess using a bit of fiber powder and a perhaps chocolate syrup in with almond or peanut butter would make a great snack to lick off a spoon.

Archived