Rate this topic

I'm not around here much because I have my symptoms all under control and I live a normal (but gluten free) life. The only time I come around really is to check if certain foods are safe for me or not.

That being said, I felt I should make this post to help others with my findings. Hopefully someone else that's struggled like I have with canker sores can find some relief with this information.

Some backstory: I was abruptly graced with NCGI shortly after my 22nd birthday. I'm 24 now and with 2 some years of dealing with this diet I've gotten fairly good at it. No symptoms... Except one... Canker sores. My whole life, not just since I got NCGI, but my whole life I have gotten BAD outbreaks of canker cores. Sometimes up to 7-8 in my mouth at one time. I'd get lower lip cankers as big as a shirt button. Just smaller than a dime. I mean... Huge. My lip would swell to double it's size and going to work or seeing family would be so embarrassing. After getting NCGI I found out that it's fairly typical for celiacs to struggle with canker sores. So it seems I was always destined to get celiac of some sort at some point in my life. Thankfully it took until I was 22 and didn't ruin my fun teenage years.

The findings... Let me put it simple and straight forward. I have been doing this for 3 months now and have not had a single canker sore since... I will start to get one maybe after biting my cheek or drinking acidic alcohol or candy, but if I just keep up with my routine it won't develop into an actual ulcer. It will die away.

----------------------------------

SENSODYNE toothpaste. It has 2 qualities that make it a canker sore killer. It does not have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in it. I won't explain what SLS is, you can look it up if you don't know. And the second quality is it balances residual acid in your mouth. The PH of your mouth, essentially. It's very important to brush thoroughly with Sensodyne after any acidic food or drink.

Lysine supplement. I take 500mg in pill form twice a day. Lysine from what I have read is an amino acid in many foods, especially in wheat based foods, and celiacs lack in lysine levels. What is Lysine? Again, you'll have to look it up lol.

By changing these two things in my life, I have gone 3 solid months without a canker. That is HUGE for me. I hope this information is useful for someone. Here's to 3 more months. Or longer!

I used to get pretty bad ones before going gluten-free as well. Now if I get one it's either cause I bit my lip or because I'm coming down with a cold.

I've been considering switching toothpastes. I didn't know that Sensodyne doesn't have SLS. Nice. I'll look into that (I want a more natural toothpaste but still with flouride)

Glad the diet is working! The fact that you had such an improvement is probably that your body is absorbing more nutrients than before. Maybe you do have Celiac rather than just NCGS? Not sure how much NCSG affects absorption if no villi damage. Just a thought.

Badcontrakt,

This topic comes up often on this board.

I had to search for it on another thread but  I pointed this out to another poster.

Lysine will help canker sores.  I used it very successfully even before I was gluten free and it still worked.

Now like others mentioned I rarely get them (sores) today but if I do Lysine is at the ready should I need it.

Thanks for sharing.  It is amazing the way something as simple as just one amino acid can help with something so painful.

Swilling with salt water if you can stand it will also help eliminate/heal them in a pinch if Lysine is not easily accessible or don't have Lysine stocked on hand in your home.

It should be noted you need to let your doctor know if you are taking Lysine and he prescribes an antibiotic.  Certain types of  antibotics taken with Lysine could lead to kidney issues especially he doesn't know if you are taking Lysine at the time.

Here is a link that discusses this precaution.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/232673-can-you-overdose-on-l-lysine

** this is not medical advice but I hope it is helpful.

posterboy,

11 hours ago, Pegleg84 said:

I used to get pretty bad ones before going gluten-free as well. Now if I get one it's either cause I bit my lip or because I'm coming down with a cold.

I've been considering switching toothpastes. I didn't know that Sensodyne doesn't have SLS. Nice. I'll look into that (I want a more natural toothpaste but still with flouride)

Glad the diet is working! The fact that you had such an improvement is probably that your body is absorbing more nutrients than before. Maybe you do have Celiac rather than just NCGS? Not sure how much NCSG affects absorption if no villi damage. Just a thought.

I'm not exactly sure what I have. I don't exactly have strong symptoms of celiac but I do have them. The primary symptoms I get when ingesting gluten is numbness, tingling, insomnia, clouded head, and lack of focus in my vision. It all seems very neurological to me.

Not to say that I don't have celiac though, because I will get a minor stomach ache and fat in stool. I grew up always having heartburn and was always underweight. Still am.

So I really don't know what to tell people I have. I guess I do have celiac. So I have CWOTNSD

(Celiac With Other Terrible Neurological Symptoms Disease)

Thanks for the support guys. Definitely spread the knowledge if you know others that struggle with canker sores!