Marigold36

Headaches from Gluten?

Rate this topic

I am wondering if anyone else experiences headaches from cross-contamination or small amounts of gluten? I have been gluten-free for over 10 years, but in the last year or two I have experienced headaches closer to migraines from cross-contamination. If this isn't very common, then perhaps I need to see my physician to find out what else could be contributing to headaches. I ate in a new restaurant yesterday and I had a severe headache an hour after eating even though I just had salmon with potatoes and vegetables. Thanks in advance for any insight! 

I don't have exactly that issue..... I have had migraines for 20+ years (but probably only had celiac for 5 - it's a guess when it actually started).  But, I noticed when I went gluten free last year, my migraines became less often. I think for me gluten or untreated celiac is definitely a trigger for my migraines as well as many other things like stress, alcohol, changes in sleep etc)

I have read from others that headaches are a symptom of celiac.....

Good luck!

I eat gluten-free oats occasion.  I don't know if you have true migraines (there's a medical diagnosis and then there is the really bad headache that a lot of people call a "migraine"). BUT, MSG is a common trigger for migraines as is red wine and other foods that are less common are avocados, oysters and red food dye.  Maybe you are being exposed to MSG in restaurants?

Headaches are definitely my first and worst reaction from gluten. Not only that, headaches can also occur when I ingest something that my body perceives as similar to gluten. And after the gluten reaction has subsided, the headache disappears. Casein is another culprit.