Rate this topic

Hey guys, I'm new here... I was diagnosed with celiac 3 years ago in June (happy b'day to me). I'm also a lesbian and my relationship it has been shaken by the gluten free lifestyle complications. Any advise on how to deal with it? I have been struggling in general.

7 minutes ago, Celialez said:

Hey guys, I'm new here... I was diagnosed with celiac 3 years ago in June (happy b'day to me). I'm also a lesbian and my relationship it has been shaken by the gluten free lifestyle complications. Any advise on how to deal with it? I have been struggling in general.

I don't think it matters what your sexual preference is with regards to how others deal with your Celiac.   Having difficulties with other people not being supportive is a common problem with those of us who have food issues.  If your partner cannot be supportive, then maybe the relationship wasn't good to begin with?  The only thing I can suggest is to go for counseling to help you learn how to deal with the problem.  The right counselor can do wonders in helping you.

When it comes to people being difficult regarding my diet, I do not let them get very far with that attitude. You find out who your true friends are when the poop hits the fan, so to speak. My husband has been phenomenal...not so much with my family.  They didn't want to hear that they may have Celiac also........and some of them did!

I agree that your significant other should support you or maybe you should move on. I know it's hard to make one lifestyle change (going completely gluten free) without having to make another (ending a relationship/trying to find a new significant other). Our situation is a bit different. A family of five with the two year old diagnosed with celiac. Our whole family immediately went completely gluten free to protect the little one. There has been little to no complaining even from the 5 and 7 year olds who had to give up McDonalds. ;) True support and love for your health has to now be a priority for both of you for this to work. Try the "find me gluten free" app to find restaurants that are still safe for you if that's important in your relationship. You can both still make each other favorite dishes (most things are very easy to modify). Remind your significant other that you didn't arbitrarily make this decision and you need this to be your healthiest, best person. Good luck!!

I don't date much at all ...like, really, next to 0. But if/when I ever do, I almost want to require that they have celiac or gluten intolerance too because I just don't want to deal with the BS. Haha. Or maybe at least some kind of chronic condition so they can be sympathetic and non judgemental jerks. They should make a celiac dating site (or maybe they do). I mean eating really IS such a huge part of life, and we unfortunate souls face daily challenges with eating, so if the person is not game for that, it's going to suck. Getting to be on the same page with someone about that would be SUCH a refreshing relief.

17 minutes ago, DownWithGluten said:

I don't date much at all ...like, really, next to 0. But if/when I ever do, I almost want to require that they have celiac or gluten intolerance too because I just don't want to deal with the BS. Haha. Or maybe at least some kind of chronic condition so they can be sympathetic and non judgemental jerks. They should make a celiac dating site (or maybe they do). I mean eating really IS such a huge part of life, and we unfortunate souls face daily challenges with eating, so if the person is not game for that, it's going to suck. Getting to be on the same page with someone about that would be SUCH a refreshing relief.

http://www.glutenfreesingles.com/  :D