Rate this topic

I had my first follow up with Dr after endoscopy.  I've been gluten-free since first of Dec 2016.  Gastroenterologist is sending me for small bowel study.   I'm not sure what the purpose of this test is.  The Dr sounded like it was a normal follow up test for celiac disease, but nothing I've read list this test as standard procedure for celiac disease.  Has anyone had this X-ray study?  What is it checking for?  It can't possibly see if the villi are still damanaged.  I'm confused.  Anyone who's had this?  Any ideas why I have to have it?  

Thank you!

What were the results of your endoscopy?  I assume he took biopsies?  Did he see any other damage or test for things like SIBO or H. pylori?  Do you have symptoms of food not moving through your system?  

If you were diagnosed with celiac disease (your antibodies DGP, EMA And TTG were all high), things might not be moving alone based on villi damage.   That should correct in a gluten-free diet (give or take months or a year or so).  

Best to call and ask why he is doing the test.  

Thank you!  I have had the endoscopy - he said it showed celiac disease.  He didn't mention any other problems.  I guess I got over concerned when I got home and started thinking about it. I have a history of colon cancer in the cecum.  I have NO problem with food moving through - never have :)  I just wanted to see if it was standard procedure before I called his office.  Thank you again!

Your doctor should be able to clarify why he wants to do the test. Just one thing to add and that is to make sure that he has let the x-ray dept know your solution needs to be gluten free. Your drink will be thin not thick and chalky.  I have had this test done a couple times. The first time the doctor didn't know the barium needed to be gluten free and I didn't even make it out of the hospital before the D hit hard. Second time I had the gluten-free solution and no issues.