Rate this topic

Hello everyone, 

4 years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 14. My doctor put me on methotrexate, a common medication for ra, as well as folic acid. Because I was young, I was lazy when it came to taking the folic acid, and after lots of research, there seems to be a correlation between methotrexate,  not taking folic acid supplements,  and celiac disease. And yes, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease pretty recently as well. 

QUESTION:

Anyways, I was wondering, did anyone else hear of this correlation between methotrexate, folic acid deficiency, and Celiac disease? How many of you have both diseases (RA and Celiac) and which diagnose did you get first? What RA medication were you prescribed? 

I'm really trying to see if there is correlation,  and would strongly appreciate if you helped out by leaving a comment! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Annatorr1001
Spelling error

Well, I don't have RA but have PsA, which is similar to RA but is zero negative in diagnosis. I was on medication too - I did sulfasalazine and Celebrex as I wasn't willing to take methotrexate or biologics. When it got really bad, I looked for another option and did the elimination diet. I don't have Celiac and have never been tested for it but am totally gluten free now - along with many other foods that I seem to get reactions from. I take a methylated folate instead of folic acid because I found I have a genetic mutation that doesn't allow my body to absorb folic acid in the synthetic form and can lead to elevated homocysteine levels which increases inflammation. I think Celiac/gluten intolerance is probably a thing before the medication starts not from it. I have been off medications for autoimmune conditions for 6 years now after being on them for 30 years prior. 

2 hours ago, janpell said:

Well, I don't have RA but have PsA, which is similar to RA but is zero negative in diagnosis. I was on medication too - I did sulfasalazine and Celebrex as I wasn't willing to take methotrexate or biologics. When it got really bad, I looked for another option and did the elimination diet. I don't have Celiac and have never been tested for it but am totally gluten free now - along with many other foods that I seem to get reactions from. I take a methylated folate instead of folic acid because I found I have a genetic mutation that doesn't allow my body to absorb folic acid in the synthetic form and can lead to elevated homocysteine levels which increases inflammation. I think Celiac/gluten intolerance is probably a thing before the medication starts not from it. I have been off medications for autoimmune conditions for 6 years now after being on them for 30 years prior. 

Great to hear that the GF diet has helped you!