Mellie901

Best apps?

Rate this topic

Hi all! I'm new here. My husband was just diagnosed as having celiac disease so we're learning about how to best change our diets and lifestyles now. We're meeting with a nutrionist on 2/14 but until then we're trying to figure out what is ok and what's not. I've found a lot on here that's already been so helpful....and just googling different sites. Is there a really good app you guys recommend for finding foods/restaurants/food at restaurants that are gluten free? We currently eat out a lot as we're pretty busy so I'm looking for good places and options to still be able to do. I know cross contamination is an issue of course but....seeing what may work. Also what about an app or site for good recipes? Especially for picky eaters. :-/ Also my husband is diabetic (and had thyroid cancer) so we have to take that into consideration as well. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

One more immediate question I have....is soy supposed to be avoided as well? I thought I might have read that somewhere but I'm not to sure about it. ? My friend that has celiac mentioned something about soy....but the info we've gotten from the Dr so far doesn't say to avoid soy...it actually lists soy as being ok. Just confused on that one.

I'm away from my phone but will reply later on apps. 

For recipes you should be fine on paleo sites, that diet is gluten free and there's loads of recipes available online.

The BBC site is good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search

Select 'special' on right side of page and 'gluten free' to filter the results.

Epicurious also has loads of recipes:

http://www.epicurious.com/special-consideration/wheat-gluten-free

25 minutes ago, Mellie901 said:

One more immediate question I have....is soy supposed to be avoided as well? I thought I might have read that somewhere but I'm not to sure about it. ? My friend that has celiac mentioned something about soy....but the info we've gotten from the Dr so far doesn't say to avoid soy...it actually lists soy as being ok. Just confused on that one.

Soy sauce is mostly thickened with wheat and should be avoided. The exception is tamari soy sauce:

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-difference-between-tamari-and-soy-sauce-ingredient-intelligence-174139

Soy itself doesn't contain gluten so as long as your husband doesn't have a problem with it there shouldn't be a problem. It's quite common for celiacs to develop intolerances to other foods.

You may want to take a look at this thread, lots of good info there :)

Just looked, on my phone I have coeliac map (which by spelling is UK based) which lists GF food places, am sure there'll be a US equivalent if you're across the pond :) I also have Find me Gluten free which I've not really used, think I just installed it because it was free!

Coeliac UK do an app which duplicates their safe food guide, recommended if you're a Brit just starting out. 

I edited my post above with some food links whilst you were replying btw ;)

Be careful with soy sauce, it's in so many foods and most sushi places won't use the safe stuff for instance. 

We use "Find me GF", but......we carefully review the comments.  We only trust reviews that mention celiac disease.  Otherwise, the comment could be just a GF dieter who is trying to lose weight and does not consider cross contamination.  Even then, we talk to both the manager and the head chef.  We do not place much faith in wait staff (no offense, I was one all through college).  Honestly, we do not eat out often.  However, we dine with friends.  We just eat before we go and order drinks.  It is really all about relationships and not the food.