Rate this topic

Hello - It's been a very long time since I have posted here. I have a 12 year old boy who was diagnosed with celiac when he was 3 1/2 years old. Everything has been going well for him health wise for many years. Only a handful of times has he been sick from being glutened - which we consider a blessing! He is an active kid, plays a sport every afternoon, has a rigorous school workload, and participates in other activities such as piano and skiing on the weekends. We noticed over the past month or so that he seemed sluggish on the basketball court, saying he didn't feel well but couldn't pinpoint why, claiming he wasn't hungry when we sat down for a meal, acting exhausted when he didn't have a real reason to be tired, and has twice vomited but from nothing we could identify. Just a week or two ago my husband and I really tried to brainstorm what was happening, and he mentioned that he had been eating a lot of cheerios. In the past year I rarely bought them, but in the past few months I have been buying the regularly. He had been eating them approx 4 times a week just this past month! I started looking online and saw conflicting accounts of people's experience with Cheerios. Needless to say - we stopped allowing him to eat them. Lo and behold, he is a changed boy. He has energy, full appetite, no signs of sickness and says he actually feels better! I don't know if it is because he was eating them often, or if any exposure to them would have the same effect. He is a kid that doesn't complain about anything, and will keep it to himself if he doesn't feel well. I truly believe he knew he didn't feel well, but because he couldn't pinpoint where or why, he couldn't tell me. Just wanted to share our experience, in case any parents or others with celiac are eating cheerios assuming they are safe!

Yep, the mechanical sorting GF process for their oats is not very effective, and the testing they do is hit and miss. Also some Celiac's react bad to oats no matter what. For me the GF Cheerios mode me sick, and I would not trust and GF cereal from that company. Now Van's O cereal substitute is GF and has not made me sick, I keep a box in house for a friend who sometimes comes over. Strawberry one was a hot with them.