This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What's Forbidden In Chicken Broth?

terriH

terriH Newbie

Just wondering what the ingredient in chicken broth (ie. collage Inn, Swansons) that means it has gluten. I'm finding as I research ingredients that there are differences in what people say are safe and unsafe. For example, "hydrolyzed veg. protein" - I've read two different opinions. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Hydrolized vegetable protein, and the similar hydrolized plant protein may or may not be safe. It depends on what the undisclosed vegetable or plant is. If it is corn, fine, but if it is wheat, it contains gluten. You have to ask, unless the manufacturer is one of those like Kraft which will clearly disclose any gluten source on the label. In additon to corn and wheat, soy is common in HVP/HPP.

Sometimes manufacturers use such vage terms intentionally so that they can buy and use whatever is cheapest at the time, however that practice is not common.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Just wondering what the ingredient in chicken broth (ie. collage Inn, Swansons) that means it has gluten. I'm finding as I research ingredients that there are differences in what people say are safe and unsafe. For example, "hydrolyzed veg. protein" - I've read two different opinions. Thanks

Additionally, sometimes broth is "thickened" with modified food starch (I've seen this once), or - as in the case with Trader Joe's brand chicken broth, barley malt. (It's clearly labeled.) For ingredients that are questionable (like MFS that isn't specified what source it comes from, or HVP, you have to call the company to find out. (The exception being companies like Kraft that will put a gluten containing ingredient on the label. So if it doesn't list a gluten containing ingredient, but has an otherwise questionable ingredient, from that company, it's safe.)

• 2 weeks later...
elfstones Newbie

Some of the broths have MSG in them. If you are sensitive to MSG you will need to watch for that also.

• 3 weeks later...
mookie03 Contributor

Just to clarify, does this mean that broth in a restaurant (a real restaurant, not a fast-food kind of establishment) would likely be safe? i have been avoiding all sauces and soups in restaurants b/c of the possibility of broth containing gluten, but my mom recently asked me why and said that most nicer restaurants would use natural chicken broth. In particular, I would really like to be able to have mussels again but have been avoiding them b/c of the sauce! Thoughts?

Guest Viola

Stefi, I would certainly check with the Chef. I have had soup at a restaurant before when the Chef came and told me everything he had put in it. It was wonderful as we had been traveling up north in very cold weather.

jams Explorer

Ask, Ask, Ask!!! I work at a nice restaraunt. I had been eating the risotto there thinking it was safe. A few times after I hadn't felt good, I found out they add chicken stock to the risotto when they cook it. I then looked at the chicken stock and there is wheat in there. This is a place that I work at!! They know how sick I can get from anything with wheat.

They are becoming more knowledgeable about it. We have had, I'd say about 10, gluten free people this holiday season. The servers all check with me before putting their order in. Just for the fact that I have put up such a stink that they don't understand all of the details of gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Normally, at higher end restaurants, they make their own chicken stock (boil chickens and reduce).

Other places try to use canned stock to help out with food cost (though it also tastes worse)...

Chain restaurants likely have canned stock, but always aks the chef.

"Do you make you own chicken stock or do you use the canned stuff? -- This question needs to be asked to a chef (not a waiter or a manager -- these folks have a tendency to make something up, lie or be unreliable)

I was a waiter for 10 years and many of my co-workers and managers were lazy and knew little about the food -- always ask a chef!!

mookie03 Contributor

Thanks guys- yea, i know i should always ask, but im not very good about taking the time to ask the chef- i always try to ask the manager instead...but you are totally right, i should always ask the chef. I just thought it would be offensive to ask the chef if he uses the real stuff- but since so many of them dont, and its my health we are talking about, i should get over that!

Archived