Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Recently given ttg iga test. The report came back 10H. Not sure why the H. I see 10 is week positive. Also they would like to check with a colonoscopy. Really confused, because I keep reading an endoscopy is the way to go. Would someone be able to clear up one or both of these issues. Thankyou!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Theri said:

Recently given ttg iga test. The report came back 10H. Not sure why the H. I see 10 is week positive. Also they would like to check with a colonoscopy. Really confused, because I keep reading an endoscopy is the way to go. Would someone be able to clear up one or both of these issues. Thankyou!

 

The H just means "high" (as opposed to normal.  As for the endoscopy, I believe it is the preferred way to confirm the diagnosis. I don't think the large intestine has the same changes of celiac (i.e. there are no villi)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TexasJen said:

The H just means "high" (as opposed to normal.  As for the endoscopy, I believe it is the preferred way to confirm the diagnosis. I don't think the large intestine has the same changes of celiac (i.e. there are no villi)

Thankyou! Just frustrated because I know they should be taking 4-6 biopsies in upper intestines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

Endoscopy is used to confirm celiac. I'd go to a good gastroenterologist instead of a regular doctor. I looked at reviews online to pick out my gastroenterologist.

You are smart. I would do the same if I could.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Theri said:

Recently given ttg iga test. The report came back 10H. Not sure why the H. I see 10 is week positive. Also they would like to check with a colonoscopy. Really confused, because I keep reading an endoscopy is the way to go. Would someone be able to clear up one or both of these issues. Thankyou!

 

As previously stated the H means it's a high reading aka above normal aka positive. Colonoscopy is NOT a way to dx celiac or even to check for it. Endoscopy taking 4-6 biopsies, preferably minimum of 6 is the gold standard for dx when combined with positive blood which you have. A colonoscopy will tell you nothing about celiac. Find a celiac savvy GI specialist.

AND......

Imperative!!!!!

Do NOT STOP eating gluten until after the endoscopy or you will get a false negative. You don't need to eat a ton of gluten every day but you do need to eat some every day.  1 slice of gluten bread each day should do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

As previously stated the H means it's a high reading aka above normal aka positive. Colonoscopy is NOT a way to dx celiac or even to check for it. Endoscopy taking 4-6 biopsies, preferably minimum of 6 is the gold standard for dx when combined with positive blood which you have. A colonoscopy will tell you nothing about celiac. Find a celiac savvy GI specialist.

AND......

Imperative!!!!!

Do NOT STOP eating gluten until after the endoscopy or you will get a false negative. You don't need to eat a ton of gluten every day but you do need to eat some every day.  1 slice of gluten bread each day should do it.

Thankyou! You are right! I did quit eating gluten and lost 6 more pounds from withdrawals. That made it 94 lbs. Gained 3 back. The withdrawals are horrible. I think I will stay off gluten. Need to anyways because of ibs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Theri said:

Thankyou! You are right! I did quit eating gluten and lost 6 more pounds from withdrawals. That made it 94 lbs. Gained 3 back. The withdrawals are horrible. I think I will stay off gluten. Need to anyways because of ibs.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you misunderstand. You MUST eat gluten every day for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to an endoscopy!!!!!!!! If you stay gluten free then you will walk away with no diagnosis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't tell me to go off gluten. I know you are right. Thankyou! I am going go rem s in hluten free. I can't have it anyways because of other health problems.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:08 PM, tessa25 said:

Endoscopy is used to confirm celiac. I'd go to a good gastroenterologist instead of a regular doctor. I looked at reviews online to pick out my gastroenterologist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2017 at 8:41 AM, Theri said:

Thankyou! You are right! I did quit eating gluten and lost 6 more pounds from withdrawals. That made it 94 lbs. Gained 3 back. The withdrawals are horrible. I think I will stay off gluten. Need to anyways because of ibs.

IBS is really code for "I be Stumped".  Chances are your IBS is really celiac disease, especially since you had a positive on the blood test.  Doctors are now being asked to screen patients for celiac disease if they have IBS.  

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v112/n1/full/ajg2016466a.html

You could just go gluten free, but there are some issues that can arise.  Without a formal diagnosis, it is hard to get family members screened.  Celiac disease is genetic.  It also can leave you with doubt.  I know that I personally needed a diagnosis in order for me to stick to a gluten free diet.  Why?  My husband had been gluten free for 12 years.  I knew all the dietary restrictions.  

If your doctor is willing to diagnose you based on your blood test, then get it in writing.  But really an endoscopy is the way to go if you can afford it.  It can rule out other isssues (SIBO, H. PLylori, etc.) that you might also have in conjunction with celiac disease.  

I wish you well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...