Stacy0w

Probiotic problems

Rate this topic

Diagnosed two years ago and feeling run down I decided to start probiotics. I've had tons of labs done and everything is "normal" so I figured a probiotic couldn't hurt. Well.....it's labeled Gluten-Free which I know doesn't mean anything. Took it a few days and my stomach got weird. Stressful here so I blew it off. Ended up taking it for about four weeks before I quit several days ago. My stomach is noisy, rumbly, gassy, acidy and I've needed to make bathroom runs each day even on the simplest of foods. Different from my gluten symptoms. I think I've caused some sort of bacterial war in there. Can taking probiotics stir up trouble? What have I done? More importantly how do I fix it?! :-/

Yeh definitely sounds possible. I had hpylori twelve yrs ago and similar symptoms now that I think about it so I'm wondering if it's something like that or SIBO. :(  Hoping it will improve in a few days. My probiotic was really strong so I think too much was too much. Just tryin to help myself and cause another issue. Figures

Stacy, maybe it IS the probiotics themselves. Not so long ago a study was done which found some that weren't gluten free even though they were supposed to be. 

How about eating yogurt?

Well back in 2015, Columbia University found that many probiotics (they were recommending them to their celiac disease patients and wondering why they were not getting well) contained gluten:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150515083232.htm

Your current symptoms could be related to gluten.  I know personally, my symptoms have changed each time I have been glutened.  The only way I know that I can blame gluten is by getting antibodies testing.  

I prefer (when going off antibiotics) to use certified gluten-free only probiotics.  Why?  I have enough on my plate, and frankly, it is a risk I just do not need to take.  I do not use probiotics except after antibiotics use.  Instead, I eat fermented foods.  

If it is just a period of adjustment, my old doctor would have recommended easing into them and building up a tolerance.  Really, sauerkraut is good for you but eat it three times a day for a week, and your body probably will not be happy.  

Let's hope it is not SIBO.  Four weeks?  Maybe you should see your doctor to rule it out.  

I hope you feel better soon.