Auntsheel

Decided not to be tested

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I had an intestinal biopsy done many years ago after positive blood work.  Long story short, the endoscopy procedure was a nightmare - I was wide awake when the doc placed the tube down my throat, and I was kicking and fighting.  I guess the Fentanyl or Versed, whatever they used, didn't work.  The biopsy came back inconclusive for Celiac Disease.  Most recently, I've been having issues with chronic constipation and stools that were very hard to pass.  It was so scary.  For some reason, something clicked, and I decided to go on a gluten free diet.  I could not believe the difference.  I can't say that I can "go" all the time with no problem, but it's so much better than before.   At first I thought I am probably just gluten intolerant, but the real test was when I went and ate a burger on a regular bread, or a quesadilla on a flour tortilla (like i did yesterday). Lo and behold, I'm at the store buying saline enemas, and I'm miserable.  I'm bloated, my pants are too tight, and I just want the pressure to go away.  

At first I didn't want to go through the biopsy again, because I'm also dealing with cervical stenosis, and have had so many doctor's appointments and procedures, that I don't want to take even more time off from work.  But as miserable as I was (and kind of still am) today, from glutening myself, I'm pretty sure I just need to avoid gluten completely.  I am also lactose intolerant, so figuring out what the heck to eat isn't an easy task.  I guess I'll eventually get used to it, though.  

Anyway, nice to meet all of you.  I'm interested in searching through the gluten free recipes.  So far I've made my own gluten free pizza crust (pretty good) and gluten free bread (it was awful and looked like Shrek).  

I will never understand why doctors discount positive blood work if damage happened to be missed on the endoscopy. If you have positive blood work you have celiac since the tests are for the most part specific to celiac disease.  Good to hear you are back on the diet and do read that Newbie thread that Cyclinglady recommended. Do ask any other questions you may need answered.